Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where should I move???? (leaving liberal-fornia)

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Probably worth bearing in mind that you will have to deal with snow most of the year in MT/ID/WY. Depending on where you live, you may not need 4WD/AWD. Depending on where you live, it might be nice - or it might be necessary. Cuz when it isn't snow, it's often either mud or ice.

Where I'm at, 2WD will get you most places you might want or need to go (there are plenty of trailheads you can reach with 2WD, but they're going to be closer to town and therefore busier). But it won't get you some of the places you might want to go, especially if you want to go into the mountains far from other people. I would advise bringing or buying skis or snow shoes, cuz there are lots of places where you won't be able to get anywhere on foot without them.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, or western South Dakota (Black Hills).

I would look in those areas.

In Wyoming Cheyenne is not exactly picturesque but is close to Colorado. Casper would be my pick if I wanted a larger town, close to the mountains. Places like Jackson Hole are super expensive, but gorgeous. Cody is a neat town but remote. Northeast Wyoming is mostly “meh”, Gillette is not my favorite place even though I may end up moving there for work at some point if required. Sheridan area is also a nice place, easy drive up to Billings, MT and at the foot of the Big Horn mountains.

I currently live in SD in the Black Hills and like it pretty well.

Only place I’ve spent any time in Idaho was in Lewiston, and I could happily live there.

Been to Salt Lake City a few times, and it’s a nice town, northern Utah looks interesting. My wife’s cousin lives in Provo and likes it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    The states I am curious about are Colorado, Utah, Oregon, and Montana. I am seriously looking still in Arizona
    Colorado: super crowded, expensive, Kalifornia politics. Traffic and air pollution on the front range, where 98% of the people live. Avoid.

Utah: SLC is weirder and much worse off for crime and social problems than you would think based on outdated assumptions about Mormons. I was shocked. Outside of greater SLC valley area you have extreme wilderness. Check it out, but I would pass.

Oregon: beautiful state. Beautiful. Politics suck and are getting worse, dominated by Portland. Outside of Portland you would probably love the people, but the politics are bad. Proposed gun laws are worse than Kalifornia.

Montana: nice state. Big. As long as you can do winter and short winter days, it's pretty nice. Not reliably conservative but definitely not as far left as CA, OR or what CO is turning into.

Look at Idaho and Wyoming also. WY has the best political outlook, but a lot of other drawbacks. ID has a mixed political outlook but a lot of things going for it. Northern Idaho is very different from Boise is somewhat different from south central and eastern Idaho. I would look at northern first, Boise second, not at all east of there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am working on a project in Salt Lake City and have been out there a couple times. Going out there again Feb 17-19. No idea what it's like to really live there but my god, it is beautiful. Two weeks ago I was out there, landed at noon, had some lunch and by 1:30 I was hiking in the mountains. Living in NJ I am used to snow and can drive it in no problem, FWD, RWD, AWD, 4WD, I have driven using all in the snow.

Of all the places I have been for work: LA, Mexico City, Vegas, Texas, Louisiana and Minnesota for work [not counting all the neighboring states]. I liked Utah the most. Honestly, of all the places I have been in the US, period, I like Utah/SLC the most.

I would totally move out there but it's too far from my parents and they aren't getting any younger.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    SLC was way different than I imagined when I went last year. Beautiful and like Alex said, you can be in the mountains within 30 minutes to an hour.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm kind of in the same boat, in terms of being ready to leave my shitty, bankrupt, decrepit, deep-blue state (Midwest - take a guess). Considering things like weather, land prices, taxes, gun laws, etc., Tennessee keeps coming out towards the top of my list. I'd never consider anywhere in the East north of North Carolina (except maybe WV).

Feedback Score
    I love VA especially the Shenandoah Valley. Also like NC.

I’m from the Philly suburbs and if you don’t mind four seasons I think it’s great. Good laws and close proximity to the ocean, cities, and wilderness.

PA also has preemption laws regarding guns so cities can’t make their own rules. Philly and Pittsburgh have a bunch of liberals but the State government has been under GOP for most of the last 50+ years. Also the state constitution reads “the right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves or the State shall not be questioned”
    CCW licenses are super easy to get outside of Philly (those a holes take a month to approve them out of spite). I have renewed mine in less than 15 mins without an appointment.

Cost of living is all over the place so there is something for any income level. It is kind of an oasis of sanity among the surrounding communist states. PA, NH, and Maine are the only states worth living in in the NE. VT was nice but the lefties are taking that over.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I too live in the suburbs of Philly. We are getting invaded by liberals and the House of Representatives just got re-districted so I plan on seeing even more liberals. I love the spring and summer but hate the winters. Fall is nice when it exists. This year it was here but sometimes the weather goes right from summer to winter.
    I also have a house in south east Idaho, about 90 minutes from Idaho Falls. Other than lower income and snow, I’d love to live there.
    Last edited by CoryCop25; 01-31-19 at 16:08.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I'm in missouri, it's a nice state, we are close to a lot of other place for travel and the gun rights are amazing here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    If you are looking to escape CA, don't stop in Oregon.
    Or Washington. Both places been F'ed over from Californians .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast