View Poll Results: Shold Forward Controls re-design their ABC/R

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, This would be a good addition to the ABC/R family of bolt catches.

5 29.41%
  • It wouldn't work for me but it's a good idea!

3 17.65%
  • No, it ain't broke, don't fix it!

9 52.94%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Forward Controls ABC/R Enhancement

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I have a ton of respect for Bill Geissele but the MBC is just plain wrong.
    Turn it around and it would be perfect IMHO.
    Not for left-handers (ok, not all left-handers that use a different method than I do). I'd get rid of the extended lower paddle on the MBC though.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The lower paddle looks like it would get snagged on kit.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I am not left handed but I do teach left handed shooters. I teach both methods but the trainers that I get advice from use the method I describe. I like to teach a couple options when it comes to reloading rifle or handgun.
    Always good to teach different options. One of the reasons that I don't like the right-hand wrap-under method is because it's less efficient. You're moving the right hand to an additional position after it pulls on the magazine vs. just moving it back to the forend and using the left finger to actuate the bolt catch.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Cory, are you talking about ABC/R v3's lower paddle? It's well shielded by the bosses that hold the bolt catch roll pin due to the butterfly extension's close proximity, we carefully consider things like this before sending a design to production.

We'll start work on a FB (forward biased) ABC/R v3 so we can offer it as an option, it won't replace the standard, non-biased ABC/R v3
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    No, Roger just the upper paddle. Everything stays the same, weight, angles, size. Just shift the top paddle left 25%.
    I’m excited!
    Last edited by CoryCop25; 02-01-19 at 11:01.
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Always good to teach different options. One of the reasons that I don't like the right-hand wrap-under method is because it's less efficient. You're moving the right hand to an additional position after it pulls on the magazine vs. just moving it back to the forend and using the left finger to actuate the bolt catch.
    Im assuming that you are aware that I am not arguing with you in any way.

I believe we both have different trains of thought.

I teach both methods but I put more emphasis on my method because I believe that your hand should always remain on the fire controls at all times. Your support hand is already at the magwell so a quick turn to the bolt release is pretty simple. Also, sometimes getting a finger or two at the angle of your left hand may need more leverage than wrapping around the magwell.

I have a left hand shooter that prefers your method and it works for him. I also have a left eye dominant right handed shooter that shoots rifle left handed that uses my method and it works for him.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClangClang View Post
    I would LOVE to have a bolt release paddle that extends further forward towards the muzzle. I have to strain to hit the release on the Geissele MBC. It's still better than mil spec, but I wish I had something better. This is a very common lament shared by everyone I speak with, and I talk to a lot of people. I shoot competitively, around 20 local matches and 5-6 major matches per year. I volunteer as RO for at least 8-10 of them. I even come home with a match win once in a while.

@Duffy - give me a reason to dump my MBC's and I'll buy 3-4 of your new ABC's the day they're released. If they're compatible with ambi lowers like the LMT MARS I'll buy another 2.

Here is a photo of my hand in its natural placement when doing a speed reload with a beer can grip. And I have XL hands. Having a paddle that extended closer to my natural thumb placement would be great. And people with smaller hands would be doubly happy. Among my immediate circle of shooting friends, this is something we've all wanted for a long time.

Attachment 55752
    If the paddle were moved forward enough to fall under the thumb as it's placed in Clangclang's above photo, that would be perfect.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-01-19 at 12:20.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The FB (forward bias) design will have more 25% more surface area on the left, and 15% to 20% less on the right, the whole effect would be as if someone took the ABC/R's upper paddle and shifted to the left a bit
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    The FB (forward bias) design will have more 25% more surface area on the left, and 15% to 20% less on the right, the whole effect would be as if someone took the ABC/R's upper paddle and shifted to the left a bit
    Will it still cover as much space on the right side as a mil-spec paddle?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A little less on the right side, haven't decided on the final configuration yet. If we add something, we'll be taking something away as well, but it might be at a 1 to 1 ratio. The FB version is optimized for those that prefer a more forward biased upper paddle, so the rear (or right side) is probably largely unused.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast