Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpul B.A.D. lever for AR

Feedback Score

Magpul B.A.D. lever for AR

I thought I read somewhere on this Forum that the B.A.D. Lever was a bad idea, and should not be installed on a serious battle rifle (or SD, or Patrol Rifle). I tried the Search function, but kept coming up little info, except a post from August 2011 that had mixed reviews. What is the general opinion of this device ?
    Last edited by La26; 01-31-19 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    It:

-May not fit your bolt catch.
    -Adds mass to your bolt catch, which can negatively impact your rifle's ability to consistently and reliably lock to the rear on an empty magazine.
    -Puts a doodad inside your trigger guard that may increase the probability of you having an ND.
    -Was intended to address an issue that appears to be significantly less prevalent in 2019 than it was in the mid-to-late 00s when it was developed.

I would buy a lower receiver designed from the ground up to be truly ambidextrous (LMT MARS-LS, Aero ambi, LWRC M6IC) if you need the function of a BAD lever in a serious use rifle.

Given the propensity for the BAD lever to induce NDs, I would not use a BAD lever nor would I recommend someone use one for any reason.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Do you want a mag release inside your trigger guard in a stressful moment?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Do you want a mag release inside your trigger guard in a stressful moment?
    I thought it was a bolt release, not a mag release?? But no, I wouldn't.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by La26 View Post
    I thought it was a bolt release, not a mag release?? But no, I wouldn't.
    You are correct. He is not.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Magpul BAD releases have been known to cause malfunctions. I have seen it first hand (last round bolt lock failure) and in one case a negligent discharge when finger hit trigger when trying to release the bolt super duper fast.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I have them on most of my AR's, for me they have caused no issues. As a lefty, I used it to drop the bolt after a reload with my right thumb.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other for me.

In my experience, they will over ride a weaker mag spring sooner than without.

They do make locking the bolt back (I could see this being a major plus on certain malfunction clearances) and releasing the bolt more ergonomic. Now whether that really brings much to the table in the grand scheme of things is debatable.

The ND thing is???? It's near the trigger, but any manipulation of the BAD lever isn't fully inside the trigger guard (like a Garand type safety) & is 90 degrees away from the direction of popping a round off. Removing a magazine on that note...Longer distance to the mag release, but closer to a trigger squeeze motion doing so so. Looking at it that way. is the BAD a sole factor or did someone predisposed to fumbling index finger manipulations just happen to have one installed?
    Last edited by jsbhike; 02-01-19 at 14:03.

Feedback Score
    I have them on a couple rifles that I've run hard through multiple classes. I've never experienced any of the issues that have been discussed, but not saying it can't happen. They are probably not worth the potential problems, but they do make manipulating the bolt quicker and easier during malfunctions etc. I don't think I'd go around recommending them to new shooters, but if someone wants the advantages and trains with it, they can be useful.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm a firm believer that proper training on stock controls is by far the most effective and efficient way to run AR.

I despise the BAD lever.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast