Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magpul B.A.D. lever for AR

Feedback Score
    I use the Redi-Catch on my guns, and it's a much better addition than the BAD lever. It enables you to use the mag release to lock open the bolt rather than taking the extra step of holding down the bolt catch.

Redi-Catch

detail_61_Redi-Catch_4.jpg

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all of the replies. Plenty of good, experienced info and suggestions. I have the BAD lever, and am waiting to receive the Redi-Catch- should be tomorrow. I will try both on an extended range session (I work at the SO Range), and make a decision at that point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by La26 View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. Plenty of good, experienced info and suggestions. I have the BAD lever, and am waiting to receive the Redi-Catch- should be tomorrow. I will try both on an extended range session (I work at the SO Range), and make a decision at that point.
    I'd love to hear back. Redi-catch will lock back the bolt when the mag button is depressed, but it won't drop the bolt? That would be interesting for gamer guns for showing clear. Drop the Mag, hold the button, cycle the charging handle to lock back the slide.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I had BAD levers on all my rifles. Never gave me any problems. But I never used them to drop the bolt, just to hold it open. When I discovered the Redi-catch I replaced all my BAD levers with them. Much less obtrusive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    I had BAD levers on all my rifles. Never gave me any problems. But I never used them to drop the bolt, just to hold it open. When I discovered the Redi-catch I replaced all my BAD levers with them. Much less obtrusive.
    A review of the Redi-catch said you use it to lock back the bolt when you have a malfunction. If this is the hot ticket, wouldn't the military be interested in this? Evidently, you depress something and then pull back on the charging handle to lock the bolt back.

I know what I do in emergencies. I do really simple things. This sounds like another complication. AKs don't even have a lock back method and they are considered reliable. Maybe I'm too much of a a KISS guy but it seems an over-elaboration to me.

Feedback Score
    hear me out, i say this as a competitive 2gun/3gun shooter and no combat experience whatsoever, i absolutely hate the bad lever and all other variants such as phase 5, troy ect ect. While runin'n'gunin', navigating obstacles, crawling, and such, it has hindered reloads, got hung up on slings, been hit by sling causing bolt to slam home inadvertently, stopped my bolt from locking open on last round, and gets scary when wearing gloves. so i have removed em from all my rifles. that being said, i first tryed them and loved them on square ranges such as carbine classes and drills, as its a quick and cheap way of making the lower ambi. but that was square range stuff before i knew what was gonna happen when actually getting into sport shooting and competing and stuff. but i loved it on the square range before i knew any better. that being said, ive never seen combat, and havent used it such harsh environments. but if it caused me issues (me, personally in my experiences) in just competitions, i can clearly say i would elect never to use one if i were a police officer or soldier. so yah, the device can help clear double feeds super quick and other issues on the square range under no stress by hitting a tab with your index finger to conveniently lock the bolt back, but man it caused me so many issues otherwise to justify yanking the pos off of my stuff. ive been much happier with my giessellee maritime bolt catch, its almost just as quick as the bad lever if you learn its tabs plus it doesnt cause the other issues ive personally experienced. my 2cents, hope it helps
    Last edited by bobbytucson; 02-06-19 at 13:27.

Feedback Score
    I installed the BAD lever on my rifle, and it seemed to function fine. I could definitely keep it on there to lock the bolt open without needing to remove my right hand from the pistol grip. What I didn't care for was putting my finger on the BAD lever to release the bolt. I could see someone's finger accidentally slipping off of the BAD lever and coming in contact with the trigger. Didn't happen to me, but I think it could lead to an accidental (negligent) discharge. We are taught (and teach) to keep the trigger finger out of the trigger guard and resting on the receiver until the decision to fire has been made, so putting your finger in that area (of the BAD lever) to lock the bolt back made me feel uncomfortable.
    I then removed the BAD lever, and installed the Redi-catch. It seem to be a natural motion to depress the mag release, and pull back on the charging handle to lock the bolt to the rear. Installing a fresh mag and depressing the bolt release was a quick, easy motion.
    I will not put the BAD lever back on the rifle, and will do some more range work with the Redi-catch installed. The only minor difference I found was the mag release required a bit more pressure to depress to drop the magazine than it did without the Redi-catch installed.
    Last edited by La26; 02-08-19 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Unload and show clear is an administrative gun handling activity.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had it on one of my guns, then realized it might be good for the range but on a HD gun, might be an issue. I removed it and it sits in the toolbox

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    A review of the Redi-catch said you use it to lock back the bolt when you have a malfunction. If this is the hot ticket, wouldn't the military be interested in this? Evidently, you depress something and then pull back on the charging handle to lock the bolt back.

I know what I do in emergencies. I do really simple things. This sounds like another complication. AKs don't even have a lock back method and they are considered reliable. Maybe I'm too much of a a KISS guy but it seems an over-elaboration to me.
    It's removing complexity from the process. Instead of manually releasing the mag AND depressing the bolt catch while running the charging handle, you just depress the mag release and run the handle. It's much faster, less complicated and easier. If the device somehow breaks, the gun still functions as it did without it.

As to why the military doesn't use it? They don't do lots of things that would help, but something that is added to the rifle needs testing and a supply chain, training, etc, and they may not see the cost being worth the benefits. To a single person, though it makes more sense.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast