Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 12.5 barrel carbine vs mid

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Please read mine post again. Gas post big enough to run with all types of ammo and under all conditions.

Also the M&P ranked right up there with a factory DPMS rifle...... not known for working real well. I am sure that it is not just the gas port size that causes the problem.

And 308 is totally differant than 5.56 because of the differences in the spec of all of the different brands.
    I get that the 308 is different in it details, but there are commonalities as well. The physics are the same. But the MP-10 not working well has nothing to do with the gas drive. It's primary problem lies with it's weak extractor spring.

The MP-10 uses a carbine length buffer, the same buffer used in the 5.56 AR. With too much momentum, the buffer pad will squish excessively, 5.56, 308 or what ever caliber.

Saying that an AR should be gassed to run all types of ammo in all types of conditions sounds like you're advocating that the AR must function with the weakest factory ammo even in the coldest weather unsuppressed and in the hottest weather with full pressure ammo with a can. My Colts won't even do that. However, they will reliably function dirty in sub-freezing temps unsuppressed with 5.56 pressure ammo, although it is noticeably over gassed with a suppressor.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-03-19 at 13:27.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just spoke to a guy that cut down a BCM 16in mid to a 12.5 and now it's his favorite upper. Shoots flat and eats anything. He sent me a video and it definitely is flat shooter.
    If I was more computer savvy I would post it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    Aren't Centurion and Hodge barrels made by FN, and of the same material? I'm sure someone on the forum knows for certain...

I do have a Centurion 12.5 and it is a true 1 MOA barrel with several types of ammo. It shoots 55FMJ into 2.5MOA. Ten round groups. It also runs well suppressed (M4SD-II).
    The Hodge barrels are to his spec. Better steel, for one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911vm View Post
    Just spoke to a guy that cut down a BCM 16in mid to a 12.5 and now it's his favorite upper. Shoots flat and eats anything. He sent me a video and it definitely is flat shooter.
    If I was more computer savvy I would post it.
    What'd he open the gas port to?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Original gas port and gas block.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I would 100% avoid recent-manufacture Noveske anything. I have a thread titled something about huuuuuge groups with more info for those curious as to why.
    Noveske pre and post John is like night and day.

I have a 2012 14.5" CL pinned to 16" middie Switchblock complete Noveske upper and it is amazing - I eventually made a 'complete' Noveske rifle out of it after using it on my first Mega lower for several years. Just because I guess.

The only (-) these days is the weight with a SWS quad rail, but with the cutout for the switchblock, there are no real options to make it lighter (easily).

Soft shooting all day long, love it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I also have an older noveske 14.5 pined with battle comp to 16in it has been my primary rifle for the past 5 years. I choose it over my JP it actuality shoots flatter and softer than JP which is about 1.5 pounds heavier. i go excited when i found out that noveske has a 12.5 mid CRUSADER barrel but now i am concerned about getting it with such mixed reviews on the new barrels. has any one tried a Triarc Track 2.0

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911vm View Post
    I also have an older noveske 14.5 pined with battle comp to 16in it has been my primary rifle for the past 5 years. I choose it over my JP it actuality shoots flatter and softer than JP which is about 1.5 pounds heavier. i go excited when i found out that noveske has a 12.5 mid CRUSADER barrel but now i am concerned about getting it with such mixed reviews on the new barrels. has any one tried a Triarc Track 2.0
    Everything I have seen on them has been very good, there just isn't much. Garand Thumb has the most in-depth review of Trairc that I could find, but he really only touches on the barrel briefly.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ok this may sound stupid but I think I am going to cut my 16in JP barrel down two 12.5 and roll the dice on that. If I have lost my mind please feel free to say so. My thinking.
    I almost never shot it
    its a very good quality barrel
    and it comes with an adjustable gas block already.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Their 10.5" barrels are stupidly overgassed. Everyone I have measured was around .080-.082.
    All of the gas port info I can find shows the 11.5" and shorter with the gas port opening up, not quite sure why? Does having the shorter barrel significantly decrease the amount of pressure at the gas port? I also would have figured that most are going to be running suppressed or planning on running suppressed--so opening it up just pushes that much more gas into the receiver.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast