Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 12.5 barrel carbine vs mid

Feedback Score
    With the BRT Custom Tune Gas Port you can reduce the gas port to your desired/optimal size for any barrel.
    I’d just get a BCM or DD and then focus on actually shooting it and developing skills.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911vm View Post
    Ok this may sound stupid but I think I am going to cut my 16in JP barrel down two 12.5 and roll the dice on that. If I have lost my mind please feel free to say so. My thinking.
    I almost never shot it
    its a very good quality barrel
    and it comes with an adjustable gas block already.
    You haven't lost your mind (or maybe I just have, as well). I have done something similar with one of my JP barrels. I chopped it to 13.5" and didn't touch the gas port. I did put an adjustable gas block on it as I will run it with a can. I have just started shooting it but the barrel is still sub-MOA when I do my part.

I will likely cut it down again, to 12.5", later on. I had a coworker with cut my threads and I think he overdid it a little bit. The threads are a little looser with the muzzle brake partially threaded but still seem to be concentric. I checked bore alignment visually and have had no baffle strikes so far (using a .30 cal can helps too).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    well its done cut it to 13in. as I used a 13in handguard. will be testing it this week

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Don’t suppose you got a chance to measure the ports?
    Sadly, no - I should start doing that on new barrels.

I did add another 12.5 carbine gassed barrel from another maker (a very nice one) since then with similar results.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i never followed up. sorry
    The 13in runs like a dream. 1.5 turns of a closed JP block. perfect. vg6 epsilon brake.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Before I purchased my 12.5” Noveske barrel, I had this same question. At the time, Todd at Noveske recommended that I get the carbine gassed version for general use, or the mid-length version for dedicated-suppressed use.

I got the carbine-gassed version, and though I practically never run it without the can, I preferred the potential increased reliability offered by the carbine-length gas system, should I decide to run it loud in the future.

It shoots fine with the can on it. I use an Vltor A5H4 buffer, for what it’s worth.

(Edit. I did not pay attention to how old this thread was. My bad.)
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 02-24-20 at 16:57.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456