Well, I have been looking for a midsized gun to complement my Beretta 92 G-SD. I wanted it to be DA/SA and preferably metal. I looked hard at the Beretta 92 Compact but I couldn't get past the fact that you really can't get night sights unless you send the slide to tool-tech for some heavy surgery and limited sight options. Since I wanted metal, I pretty much had to go with a SIG or a CZ. I have never gotten past SIGs QC issues from the not too distant past so I just couldn't see paying the bucks. I had a SP01 that was stolen a few years ago, and I remembered loving it so I figured I would give the P01 a spin. I have shot one a few times before since my shooting buddy has a green one.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

I actually wasn't looking for an "Omega" because I generally don't really care about special triggers. Unless we are talking VP70z or Colt AA 2000 I can pretty much make any normal combat trigger work. But I was actually having a hard time finding one and was thrilled when I did. I picked one up earlier this week and was happy to find the trigger was excellent.

Well, there are a few issues with the Omega that are irritating. Czs are already a pain in the keister to get holsters for...but the Omega is even worse. It has (fairly pointless) large Ambi decocking levers (frankly, I don't care what side the lever is on, and prefer that the be small and out of the way,... the CZ Omega sucks at that). Anyway the levers are swappable so you can go cocked and locked. I do enjoy that mode of carry, but that isn't what I'm looking for here.

Also, CZ sucks at sights. The ones on my old SP-01 were like some Colt sights from the 80s. Teeny, tiny. This one was a bit better, but I went ahead and ordered some tritium sights from Cajun.

I took the gun out today and shot 200 rounds of Federal ball. The gun ran great. I will shoot another 200 tomorrow, including some 147 grain HP to test and see it if is carry trustworthy.
The gun shot slightly higher than I like (more like a 6 o'clock hold). But I was able to shoot a ton of el prez drills from low ready and this gun keeps the gongs ringing. I didn't some half assed walk back drills and the gun shoots straight. The DA and SA are very smooth with very little chatter in the action. Not quite as good as my well worn stock berretta, but damn close.

I considered getting a TRL8 or an X200. I am glad I tried the TRL8 because although I like the construction, I despise the switches. They are solid, but an ergonomic mess. I am scared to invest in an XC2 since my old XC1 was flakey and I had to send it back. So I just picked up an Inforce APLc. (Pro Tip, get the Glock APLc because it fits the SP01 single slot design perfectly).

My sights actually arrived after I shot this afternoon. They weren't terrible to install, but I which Cajun would send a new roll pin. I foolishly presumed they would so I had to reuse this $1 piece for now. I had to whittle it down a bit and I scratched my slide a bit (beause I was being an impatient douche). The Cajun Sights are made by Dawson and have trijcon inserts. The are normal three dots but the rear sights are plain and the front has a big white ring. nice and simple the way I like them.

If everything goes well tomorrow I have a local Kydex guy who will make Me an OWB setup for the gun with the light. Looking forward to putting this gun through its paces.