Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illinois Assault Weapons Ban 2019

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Illinois Assault Weapons Ban 2019

Due to work and family obligations I am trapped in the People's Republic of Illinois for the next few years. Our leftist liberal governor has stated his intentions to move forward with an assault weapons ban. He's already signed a bill requiring additional fees and regulations for FFL holders. I'm very worried about what is coming. Let's start a thread to keep each other updated.

For those unfamiliar with Illinois, we have a unique phenomenon here with our"Downstate Democrats". These are the Democrats from more rural areas, mostly south of I-80. Traditionally, they have opposed gun control. It'll be interesting to see if they hold firm and prevent the northern liberals from obtaining the 60 votes necessary ramrod this nonsense down our throats. Here is a link to the legislation as well as a relevant article:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStat...x04S7pwhVdmXsU

https://patch.com/illinois/deerfield...earch-proposed
    Last edited by signal4l; 02-01-19 at 23:07.

Feedback Score
    While I obviously hope this dies, if an AWB is passed in IL, it could end up backfiring and having major repercussions against the anti-gunners, and here's why: One of the reasons why none of the state AWB laws have made it to the Supreme Court is that, generally speaking, they turn away challenges unless there is a disagreement between two or more circuit courts on the same issue. So far, all the current ban states (MA, CT, NY, NJ, MD, and CA) are in heavily left-wing circuits. IL is in the much more conservative 7th Circuit. If IL passed a ban and it got struck down, they would lead to a dispute which the SC would have to settle. And while I don't trust Roberts overall, he's consistently ruled in favor of gun rights. So that could settle the assault weapons controversy for a good long while.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    While I obviously hope this dies, if an AWB is passed in IL, it could end up backfiring and having major repercussions against the anti-gunners, and here's why: One of the reasons why none of the state AWB laws have made it to the Supreme Court is that, generally speaking, they turn away challenges unless there is a disagreement between two or more circuit courts on the same issue. So far, all the current ban states (MA, CT, NY, NJ, MD, and CA) are in heavily left-wing circuits. IL is in the much more conservative 7th Circuit. If IL passed a ban and it got struck down, they would lead to a dispute which the SC would have to settle. And while I don't trust Roberts overall, he's consistently ruled in favor of gun rights. So that could settle the assault weapons controversy for a good long while.
    Good info. Thanks for the post

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Friday night I attended a small gathering of local pro-gun folks where our State Representative Chris Miller spoke about anti-gun legislation in Illinois. It does look like we are entering a bleak period, lots of anti-gun bills being filed. He encouraged all to contact legislators, & not just your own. He also encouraged folks to show up for IGOLD.

It was not a highly encouraging night, in terms of possible legislation for the near future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post

For those unfamiliar with Illinois, we have a unique phenomenon here with our"Downstate Democrats". These are the Democrats from more rural areas, mostly south of I-80. Traditionally, they have opposed gun control. [/URL]

Ha, I've always joked that 'southern' Illinois started at Joliet, you actually moved it north.

Good luck. My family is from Chicago, and two of us have already ejected. CO didn't end up being the answer, but my brother in Crowne Point gets all the benefits of the big city with out the full Progressive stupid.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Ha, I've always joked that 'southern' Illinois started at Joliet, you actually moved it north.

Good luck. My family is from Chicago, and two of us have already ejected. CO didn't end up being the answer, but my brother in Crowne Point gets all the benefits of the big city with out the full Progressive stupid.
    I have family members that escaped to Northwest Indiana as well. I wish I did before I got a job mortgage and kids.

https://youtu.be/jT38E-36GTQ

The dad is in Illinois. The son's made it to the free sector---Indiana.
    Last edited by signal4l; 02-04-19 at 14:50. Reason: Link

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Democrats having been waiting 4 years for this opportunity and they are taking advantage of it. Governor Pritzker will sign anything the Democrats put in front of him. Shame on anyone who A) voted for J.B. Pritzker or B) sat on their fat behinds and did not go to the polls on election day.

This is not just about firearms in Illinois. You will find the pro-2nd Amendment crowd are also part of a large group of taxpayers who will be under assault by the Democrats and the Pritzker administration. IGOLD is coming up Wednesday, March 27th. It's time to dig in our heels, join the ISRA and NRA and fight back.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Due to districting here in Illinois, the majority of the state legislature is in or near Chicagoland area. There can be no question that this is another attempt to ignore the 2nd amendment. They clearly chose to ignore the phrase "shall not be infringed". Then again, politicians in Illinois have been openly violating the law for years.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Everyone forgets Pritzker is the one who tried to buy Obama’s Senate seat from Blago. And I don’t recall hearing about that anytime during the Primary or the run up to the election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    Everyone forgets Pritzker is the one who tried to buy Obama’s Senate seat from Blago. And I don’t recall hearing about that anytime during the Primary or the run up to the election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Omg Blago... I loved that guy. Is he still around?? He’s in prison right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast