Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt Sporter Hbar?'s

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smpr Fi View Post
    The one I am looking at has a different lower, the lower on mine has no guard around the mag release.

NICE rifle by the way!
    What markings are on the left side of the lower receiver?
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A good friend of mine has a Colt Sporter that he says is "pre-ban" and is wanting to sell it to me for $500! It is in like new condition, with very few rounds through it. Main questions I have are, is $500 a good price, is it pre-ban? I am meeting him this morning at the range, I will take pics and post them.

I have searched all over the web and get mixed info on what could or could not be on a Pre-ban Sporter, here are some of the things the rifle has that are questions for me....
    It does not have the bayo lug
    It has the Sear block
    It has a flash hider
    Screw for front takedown pin

Thanks in advance!
    I don't know if the AR in question is a pre-ban or not, but if it were offered to me for $500, the title of this thread would have been "LOOK WHAT I GOT!"
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3523B769-E7FD-4B12-B440-FF7EB1B0E24C.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    What markings are on the left side of the lower receiver?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, what you have is a MH6601 (Sporter Match HBAR). The serial number (from what is not redacted) most likely places it somewhere between 1991-1992. Mine is serial number MH048XXX and it was made in 1993 (pre-ban). The fact that yours as a slabside lower (no fencing) makes it just a bit earlier than mine.

You can call Colt to see what year it was made. Nonetheless, it is a pre-ban Sporter Match HBAR and $500 is a steal of a deal for that rifle.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 02-03-19 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    I plan on shooting this rifle quite a bit, at least twice a week. With that being said, it has the Colt sear block and we have a milling machine at my gun shop that I can use. Is it a bad idea to mill down the block that way I can use a normal BCG? Will it hurt the value?

Feedback Score
    I do not buy firearms to collect, I buy them to use....ALOT! But, at the same time I would hate to hurt the value of a firearm. That way when I am done enjoying it, I can get a decent amount for it and buy something new and shiny that intrigues me!!
    Last edited by Smpr Fi; 02-05-19 at 07:36.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I plan on shooting this rifle quite a bit, at least twice a week. With that being said, it has the Colt sear block and we have a milling machine at my gun shop that I can use. Is it a bad idea to mill down the block that way I can use a normal BCG? Will it hurt the value?
    Do not concern yourself with the sear block. Keep it original and just use the AR as it is. It shoots just fine. Yes, machining a sear block will hurt any real value it has as it would not longer be original.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mine has a sear block took out the half moon carrier and put in a semi-auto lmt carrier, just one more option instead of modifying

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 81mmcat View Post
    Mine has a sear block took out the half moon carrier and put in a semi-auto lmt carrier, just one more option instead of modifying
    Thank you! I did not know you could use a semi auto BCG with the sear block. That fixes all my problems! Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12