Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canted crosshairs...common issue?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VortexOptics View Post
    Appreciate you trying to keep it candid, but it's a Vortex scope so let's just get that out in the clear. Canted reticles are not a common occurrence by any means.
    Since it's out in the open, I will say that I have also had a problem with a canted reticle, and it was a Vortex scope (Viper PST 1-4x with the MOA reticle) that I purchased new from a well know vendor. It was on a 3 gun competition gun and it took me a while to be 100% sure the problem was not caused by something I did (like mounting it incorrectly or knocking it when I was handling it rough).

It kept getting worse and worse (rotating more and more) which actually helped me realize it was the scope and not me. I had never heard about a twisted reticle until then. Once I was sure there was a problem with the scope, I contacted Vortex. They were easy to work with, I sent it in, they repaired it (I think it was a weak glue/adhesive issue), and I have been using it since with no problems.

I will say one thing. Even with a significantly rotated reticle (right before I sent it back to Vortex), it was still shooting exactly where it was zero'd. I had it zero'd at 200 yards, and I was hitting multiple steel targets (relatively small ones) at 200 yards in a match with no problems. I couldn't believe it, and some of my fellow competitors were impressed too.

As someone mentioned, the biggest problem is that it's a significant time loss to remove, send back, remount, etc.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    OP, while some of your question was answered, the long and short is that reticle cant is a quality control issue, and some companies do better QC than others. I'm surprised you had two Vortex scopes in a row, as they are not known for this issue. Leupold is notorious for canted reticles as they have, or at least recently (last 2-3 years) had a policy that 2-3 degrees from vertical was good enough. Maybe they finally saw the light and changed that, I don't know. Steiner also had cant issues on the T5 series when it was introduced, but the early T5's had lots of issues, and to my knowledge this is not a general Steiner issue.

It would be possible to see this or any other QC issue on a scope from any brand, but it should be rare on any scope over $500. I have seen other quality issues on expensive scopes from several major brands. The fewest reported problems seem to be on the brands without any offerings under $500, go figure...

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    OP, while some of your question was answered, the long and short is that reticle cant is a quality control issue, and some companies do better QC than others. I'm surprised you had two Vortex scopes in a row, as they are not known for this issue. Leupold is notorious for canted reticles as they have, or at least recently (last 2-3 years) had a policy that 2-3 degrees from vertical was good enough. Maybe they finally saw the light and changed that, I don't know. Steiner also had cant issues on the T5 series when it was introduced, but the early T5's had lots of issues, and to my knowledge this is not a general Steiner issue.

It would be possible to see this or any other QC issue on a scope from any brand, but it should be rare on any scope over $500. I have seen other quality issues on expensive scopes from several major brands. The fewest reported problems seem to be on the brands without any offerings under $500, go figure...
    A friend of mine had this very problem with a Leupold Mk6 about a year ago. It took them quite a while to fix it and get it back to him too.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a leupold vx6 with a canted reticle.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I kinda feel that this post deserves an update based on Vortex's willingness to step in to advise a solution, and take appropriate credit for their product, whether good or bad.

I watched the videos on mounting the scope with a plumb line versus levels, canting the rifle while mounting it in the shoulder pocket, etc. Then I remounted the scope using the plumb line method, and have used the scope since then to put 341 rounds through the rifle during semi-precision and precision work. I've had no problems with the scope since remounting it, and the tracking, etc, has held true out to 700 yards (that's as far as I've taken it so far). I would guess that the top of the turret sits a few degrees different than the reticle, but in using the plumb line and testing from there, all my adjustments have held true. The videos suggest this can happen. I also wonder if using the level method was combining with a slight user induced cant to make things seem worse than they were.

Either way, the problem appears to have been me. I'll update the original post as well.

Feedback Score
    We have used every scope brand possible and the only scope that we never had any issues with has been Night Force.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Gentlemanly of you to fall on your sword.

The absolute most accurate method of aligning a scope is using a plumb-line. As well, a bubble level, while mocked by big dicked sniper daddies, can absolutely help diagnose canting on the shooter's end, if installed properly.

Finally, following the manufacturer's torque recommendations is also an extremely good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I kinda feel that this post deserves an update based on Vortex's willingness to step in to advise a solution, and take appropriate credit for their product, whether good or bad.

I watched the videos on mounting the scope with a plumb line versus levels, canting the rifle while mounting it in the shoulder pocket, etc. Then I remounted the scope using the plumb line method, and have used the scope since then to put 341 rounds through the rifle during semi-precision and precision work. I've had no problems with the scope since remounting it, and the tracking, etc, has held true out to 700 yards (that's as far as I've taken it so far). I would guess that the top of the turret sits a few degrees different than the reticle, but in using the plumb line and testing from there, all my adjustments have held true. The videos suggest this can happen. I also wonder if using the level method was combining with a slight user induced cant to make things seem worse than they were.

Either way, the problem appears to have been me. I'll update the original post as well.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Those are really good videos posted by Vortex. Very helpful. Thank you. Even people that have mounted scopes before should really watch.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I was mocked, mercilessly, by a forum member for using the flashlight/plumb-line method.

His adherence to the use of shim kits is relying entirely on the machining of the scope body. This is akin to treating the symptoms and not the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by RKB Armory View Post
    Those are really good videos posted by Vortex. Very helpful. Thank you. Even people that have mounted scopes before should really watch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123