Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canted crosshairs...common issue?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Canted crosshairs...common issue?

BLUF: See post 25. The issue appears to have been me. Feel free to read through the thread for your increased knowledge. Original post below:

I'm about to send a second scope back to an optics company that is well-known and supported on this forum, due to canted crosshairs. This is the second scope I've sent back for this same issue, and I've only owned half a dozen scopes. Is this a pretty common QC issue for optics manufacturers?

This scope has an MSRP of over $550, so while it's not a Nightforce or a Razor, I'd expect better at its price point. The other scope I've sent in had an MSRP of over $700.

EDIT-Both scopes I'm referring to were purchased used through this forum, so that adds another degree of complexity to this issue.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 07-11-19 at 23:54. Reason: See EDIT.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had several, all under 500.00 and no canted crosshairs. A few on ARs, a few on hunting rifles, two on .22s.

Feedback Score
    Let me guess the name starts with a V?

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Dumb question but did it get mounted straight and correctly tight to begin with? I had a scope that I thought the reticle canted. Turned out I forgot to lock tire the rings screws and they backed out after a few rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have a Vortex stuck on a USPS truck somewhere in the Midwest I’m guessing, ironically held up by the Polar Vortex! Same issue, canted reticle. Was used for 4 years on a bolt gun, tracked well, no issues. Got it out for a range day when I discovered it. Absolute mystery to me as it had taken no knocks and it shot well the previous outing. This one was an FFP closer to $1k msrp.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Let me guess the name starts with a V?
    Absolutely. Similar experiences on your side of the house?

Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    Dumb question but did it get mounted straight and correctly tight to begin with? I had a scope that I thought the reticle canted. Turned out I forgot to lock tire the rings screws and they backed out after a few rounds.

I installed it using levels like I normally do. A big part of my day job includes things being straight and true/square to the eye, so I usually notice any cant immediately. I'll be double checking, but I don't think it's the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I have a Vortex stuck on a USPS truck somewhere in the Midwest I’m guessing, ironically held up by the Polar Vortex! Same issue, canted reticle. Was used for 4 years on a bolt gun, tracked well, no issues. Got it out for a range day when I discovered it. Absolute mystery to me as it had taken no knocks and it shot well the previous outing. This one was an FFP closer to $1k msrp.
    That's the worse part of this to me. It's a pretty big time loss when gear fails for no reason. Ironically, I've had a Burris Fullfield 2 that gets past from rifle to rifle when it's being tested, and it's much cheaper than the brand I'm having issues with.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 02-03-19 at 14:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    That's the worse part of this to me. It's a pretty big time loss when gear fails for no reason.
    Dat VIP warranty tho.

Honestly, which scope manufacturer brags about over-staffing their warranty department? It's like, hey, buy a Kia because it has a 10 year warranty.

I've been to a scope manufacturer where they don't actually have any warranty department, the people that built you your scope are the same people that repairs it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

That's the worse part of this to me. It's a pretty big time loss when gear fails for no reason. Ironically, I've had a Burris Fullfield 2 that gets past from rifle to rifle when it's being tested, and it's much cheaper than the brand I'm having issues with.
    While I can do without the inconvenience I'm not sweating it. Stuff fails but I agree, when it's for no reason, kind of a head scratcher. I just hope it comes back tracking as well as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post

I've been to a scope manufacturer where they don't actually have any warranty department, the people that built you your scope are the same people that repairs it.
    Who is your preferred scope brand?
    Last edited by Vegas; 02-03-19 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Not for nothing, but I’ve always had tremendous luck with Trijicon. The most warranty work I’ve had was replacing the tritium when it got too old and got back a completely rebuilt scope. At no cost.

Feedback Score
    I'm about to send a second scope back to an optics company that is well-known and supported on this forum, due to canted crosshairs. This is the second scope I've sent back for this same issue, and I've only owned half a dozen scopes. Is this a pretty common QC issue for optics manufacturers?

This scope has an MSRP of over $550, so while it's not a Nightforce or a Razor, I'd expect better at its price point. The other scope I've sent in had an MSRP of over $700.
    Appreciate you trying to keep it candid, but it's a Vortex scope so let's just get that out in the clear. Canted reticles are not a common occurrence by any means. Does it happen? Out of millions of scopes out there sure it can happen and has happened and we're happy to take care of that if/when it is the case.

To hear that you've had two is concerning for sure. Out of curiosity, when you're seeing these canted reticles, are they only very slightly canted or are they extremely glaringly canted? The majority of the times we see scopes coming back for canted reticles, it's due to one or more of the following issues (Enough so we made a few videos about it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMqL17KwcoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfLlKE1QjW0

Either way, that's the pits that you've had to deal with this and we're going to make it right for sure. Can you please shoot me an e-mail when you get the chance? jchamilton@vortexoptics.com

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast