Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canted crosshairs...common issue?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VortexOptics View Post
    Appreciate you trying to keep it candid, but it's a Vortex scope so let's just get that out in the clear. Canted reticles are not a common occurrence by any means. Does it happen? Out of millions of scopes out there sure it can happen and has happened and we're happy to take care of that if/when it is the case.

To hear that you've had two is concerning for sure. Out of curiosity, when you're seeing these canted reticles, are they only very slightly canted or are they extremely glaringly canted? The majority of the times we see scopes coming back for canted reticles, it's due to one or more of the following issues (Enough so we made a few videos about it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMqL17KwcoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfLlKE1QjW0

Either way, that's the pits that you've had to deal with this and we're going to make it right for sure. Can you please shoot me an e-mail when you get the chance? jchamilton@vortexoptics.com

Thanks
    Appreciate the response here. I would guess mine is 2-3* off. Will send you a note shortly.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VortexOptics View Post
    Appreciate you trying to keep it candid, but it's a Vortex scope so let's just get that out in the clear. Canted reticles are not a common occurrence by any means. Does it happen? Out of millions of scopes out there sure it can happen and has happened and we're happy to take care of that if/when it is the case.

To hear that you've had two is concerning for sure. Out of curiosity, when you're seeing these canted reticles, are they only very slightly canted or are they extremely glaringly canted? The majority of the times we see scopes coming back for canted reticles, it's due to one or more of the following issues (Enough so we made a few videos about it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMqL17KwcoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfLlKE1QjW0

Either way, that's the pits that you've had to deal with this and we're going to make it right for sure. Can you please shoot me an e-mail when you get the chance? jchamilton@vortexoptics.com

Thanks
    Thank you for the reply sir/ma'am, I was going to send you guys an email tonight. I'll watch the videos and send you an e-mail.

(The first scope was glaringly so, the second is minor.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Dat VIP warranty tho.

Honestly, which scope manufacturer brags about over-staffing their warranty department? It's like, hey, buy a Kia because it has a 10 year warranty.

I've been to a scope manufacturer where they don't actually have any warranty department, the people that built you your scope are the same people that repairs it.
    Hate to even entertain comments like this on a thread about someone else's issue with a product of ours that we're looking forward to making right, but sounds like a lot of assumptions being made here without having seen Vortex in person like that other scope brand to get real information with your own eyes. You should come by some time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never knew the flashlight method. Nice alternative. For as long as I can remember, I've used the plumb bob method. My plumb bob is a key fob (previously a bolt) suspended from a string of 0.75-0.80mm diameter. Pretty thin. Normally, at the distance I perform this preliminary task, it turns out that my plumb bob line is spot on or extremely close to the thickness of the crosshairs. Get it right, begin the "optics" manufacturer's torque settings. Secure mount and optic to firearm. Recheck for alignment. Call it good. There has been a time or two where I needed to adjust due to the optic moving a spit during the mounting process. My last 3 have been Vortex; without issue. Regarding the second video, I dare say the vast majority of shooters cant the firearm.

OP, hope it all works out for you.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'm going to follow the instructions in the videos that were presented and follow that with a range trip. I would definitely like to be wrong and have learned something. Thank you for everybody's comments in this thread, I should be able to update by the end of the week.

Let me add that both scopes that have been or possibly been canted were purchased used through the forum, so that adds another degree of unknown. I will edit the original post to reflect that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2-3" off relative to what? Just curious when you mentioned "inches". How many degrees do the crosshairs appear canted in relation to the body?
    Last edited by bamashooter; 02-03-19 at 21:12.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    3-4" off relative to what? Just curious when you mentioned "inches". How many degrees do the crosshairs appear canted in relation to the body?
    May I ask which post you are questioning? My scope appears 5 or so degrees off, initially. I'll test mine against a Plumb line and see where I end up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    May I ask which post you are questioning? My scope appears 5 or so degrees off, initially. I'll test mine against a Plumb line and see where I end up.
    Sorry about that. I was referencing member Vegas. And the anomaly was actually 2-3". Yep, a plumb line tells all assuming the optic body is positioned true either mounted or "bench" testing.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Appreciate the response here. I would guess mine is 2-3* off. Will send you a note shortly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Sorry about that. I was referencing member Vegas. And the anomaly was actually 2-3". Yep, a plumb line tells all assuming the optic body is positioned true either mounted or "bench" testing.
    Quoted my post for you... * is for degrees because inches would be silly and I don’t know where the degrees symbol is on the keyboard. Kinda batting zero there bamashooter. Must be all the Super Bowl libations.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Quoted my post for you... * is for degrees because inches would be silly and I don’t know where the degrees symbol is on the keyboard. Kinda batting zero there bamashooter. Must be all the Super Bowl libations.
    One of those more frequent days. Too bad it wasn't just 2-3" vs 2-3°. BTW, typically you can activate the [num lock] key and do a "alt + 248" using the num lock keys to enter the ° symbol. Sometimes it's "alt + 176".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast