Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70 grain Nosler RDF IMR 8208 XBR

Feedback Score

70 grain Nosler RDF IMR 8208 XBR

Anyone tried this combination as yet? If so any results you'd care to share. I'm in the process of loading up a ladder and as per Nosler's suggestions going with 69 grain 5.56 data. Although they do not offer XBR as a powder choice I do have quite a bit accumulated from Sierra's 69 MK and Tmk's.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    I have tried it and the results were ok (10 shot groups around 1", not as good as 77 SMKs). Unfortunately, I'm deployed right now and don't have all the data.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    Anyone tried this combination as yet? If so any results you'd care to share. I'm in the process of loading up a ladder and as per Nosler's suggestions going with 69 grain 5.56 data. Although they do not offer XBR as a powder choice I do have quite a bit accumulated from Sierra's 69 MK and Tmk's.
    What is your charge for 69gr TMKs and SMKs with XBR? Curious for my own data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    What is your charge for 69gr TMKs and SMKs with XBR? Curious for my own data.
    This load is safe in my rifle and was worked up according to established published proceedures... Due to variations in equipment and or components I strongly suggest anyone to do the same.

Note the rifle is a Colt HBar Elite 24" 1 in 9 with a 5.56 chamber.

69 Sierra tipped matchking in Lake City '14 cases with Wolf small rifle magnum primers bullet seated to maximum magazine length. Charges weighed on Gempro 250 scale; IMR 8208 XBR @ 23.8 grains, velocity 2960 ft/secs SD 11 from 10 shots recorded by a LabRadar unit.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

Feedback Score

Conditions were horrible, winds to 20 MPH, cold by desert standards, and basically I rushed to get chronograph data before the rain squalls hit... Distance to target 100 yards.

No swipe or over pressure seen at 24 grains. I am planning on reshooting the 23.6 charge and also going to see if there is a higher node, carefully :-)

When running a comparison between this and the Sierra 69 grain Tipped MK in JBM given the same velocities this Nosler 70 grain RDF is 3.8 MOA flatter to 1K, 2 MOA less wind of course as well. Hopefully neither the computer nor Nosler is fibbing. Additionally the Nosler at 3,000 ft/sec would be supersonic to 1200 yards vs 1000 for the Sierra in my AO.
    Last edited by 308sako; 02-04-19 at 16:18. Reason: Distance to target, corrected JBM data

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    This load is safe in my rifle and was worked up according to established published proceedures... Due to variations in equipment and or components I strongly suggest anyone to do the same.

Note the rifle is a Colt HBar Elite 24" 1 in 9 with a 5.56 chamber.

69 Sierra tipped matchking in Lake City '14 cases with Wolf small rifle magnum primers bullet seated to maximum magazine length. Charges weighed on Gempro 250 scale; IMR 8208 XBR @ 23.8 grains, velocity 2960 ft/secs SD 11 from 10 shots recorded by a LabRadar unit.
    Thank you for this. I have been running 23.7gr XBR/mixed brass/Tula SR primers, and getting MOA or slightly under, with myself being the limiting factor. I'm happy with it. I was wondering how other people were running similar loads.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Thank you for this. I have been running 23.7gr XBR/mixed brass/Tula SR primers, and getting MOA or slightly under, with myself being the limiting factor. I'm happy with it. I was wondering how other people were running similar loads.
    You are more than welcome Sir.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    23.8 sounds pretty good, depending on the lot. That was our original 77 gr smokers load. Lot change had primers popping though. For a 70 grain bullet, I'd expect a nice round.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Their factory loading of it was very, very accurate for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    23.8 sounds pretty good, depending on the lot. That was our original 77 gr smokers load. Lot change had primers popping though. For a 70 grain bullet, I'd expect a nice round.
    Mark I have to agree the lot to lot variation has to be watched closely with this powder. That said it still performs well once adjustments are made.

My 77 grain load is 23.2 FWIW

Ned That is good to hear as I have found some of their more recent efforts to be lacking.

This box of Noslers is showing just a little less velocity per grain, so I have loaded a ladder that is going to be a bit stiffer than the first effort. There was not a hint of swipe nor particularly flattened primers in this first effort, just with Mother Nature would accommodate my worthy efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast