Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sellier & Bellot primers

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I see. I wonder if they're like the Wolf/TULA primers that we love. Mild, SD shrinking primers that also tend to tighten groups up.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    No clue, Never was able to get my hands on Wolf or Tula.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    You guys can STOP anytime now, I'm trying very very hard NOT to buy more primers, LOL !! Although in the end, I am "powerless" to stop myself !! 10K LRP coming up! I know for sure and from experience the S&B 30/06 Ammo designed for the M1 rifle shot exceptional out of the rifles I ran it through ! Sooo ya got that goin for ya,LOL

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5shank View Post
    No clue, Never was able to get my hands on Wolf or Tula.
    It's amazing how much a primer can impact a load. We shot the Federal SR AR-Match primers against our Wolf, and the hotter Fed primer goosed the bullet about 40 fps faster if I remember right.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The first attraction with the S&B primers was Cabelas selling them for under $30/Thousand. Then I noticed nice predictable results in my handloads. One allegedly RKI on some other “sniper” oriented forum stated that he’d examined some S&B primers with a magnifying glass? Lupe? Microscope? Anyway he claimed the priming compound was more uniformly applied than other well known brands. And they seemed to hold up well with 5.56ish and .300blk supersonic loadings. Life was good.

Yesterday I shot several different loadings with my 20” AR shaped object at 50 yards over the chronograph. I loaded 10 of each using the same charge of 23.2gr 8208XBR in WCC14 brass with Nosler 77gr bthp projectiles. Yesterday was a sunny 38 degree day so I shot five round strings (I intend to shoot the other five of each load this summer). The main difference in each load was the primers, I used Nosler bullets with a cannelure for the crimped rounds, non cannelured Noslers for the rest. Velocity is the corrected for muzzle figure from my chrony software.

1) Silver State Factory load. 2600fps SD 44
    2) S&B SR primer. 2676fps SD 23.6
    3) CCI #41 crimped in cannelure. 2731fps SD 18.1
    4) CCI #41. 2709fps SD 10.0
    5) CCI BR-4. 2588fps SD 13.6
    6) CCI #400. 2664fps SD 27.2

Interesting to me was that all the CCI ignited loads shot @ 1/2” left of the S&B load that the gun was zero’d with. The Silver State loading was 1/2” left and 1/2” high.

Admittedly five rounds isn’t enough for a completely valid sampling but it was cold out and I’d promised to take my wife out to dinner.
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 02-10-19 at 11:17.

Feedback Score
    I still kinda laugh when someone say's primers don't make a difference, In some cases they can make a BIG difference, in others not so much so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12