Thread: YHM billet receivers

Feedback Score

YHM billet receivers

Any opinions on YHM’s billet receivers? Price-wise, they are on the lower end of the billet spectrum. Their handguards and muzzle devices/suppressors seem to have good feedback but never really see home builds based around theor receivers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In general, billet receivers are not as strong as forged receivers. Billet receivers are cut from a billet of aluminum which is a block. The grain runs parallel. Cut a hole in the bullet and the grain is interrupted.

To make a forged receiver, the aluminum is heated to a plastic state, then struck under great pressure into the rough form. This causes the aluminum to flow into that rough shape. This means the grain is forced to follow the shape. There is still some interruption of the grain from the final machining, but the grain flowing with the shape of the part reinforces it.

To make up for the loss of strength, billet receivers are usually designed to be thicker, thus heavier. Billet receivers are generally more expensive than forged receivers. The result is, the consumer pays more for a part that has to be heavier to be as strong.

Why use a billet? Because some manufacturers offer features that cannot be fitted dimensionally into a standard forging. It's often more economical to machine such a receiver from a billet than have an expensive forging die made.

To answer your question, ask yourself does the YHM billet receiver offer any special features that can't be had in a standard forged receiver? If yes, are the features worth the premium to you?

If no, the answer is obvious.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-04-19 at 23:41.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    In general, billet receivers are not as strong as forged receivers. Billet receivers are cut from a billet of aluminum which is a block. The grain runs parallel. Cut a hole in the bullet and the grain is interrupted.

To make a forged receiver, the aluminum is heated to a plastic state, then struck under great pressure into the rough form. This causes the aluminum to flow into that rough shape. This means the grain is forced to follow the shape. There is still some interruption of the grain from the final machining, but the grain flowing with the shape of the part reinforces it.

To make up for the loss of strength, billet receivers are usually designed to be thicker, thus heavier. Billet receivers are generally more expensive than forged receivers. The result is, the consumer pays more for a part that has to be heavier to be as strong.

Why use a billet? Because some manufacturers offer features that cannot be fitted dimensionally into a standard forging. It's often more economical to machine such a receiver from a billet than have an expensive forging die made.

To answer your question, ask yourself does the YHM billet receiver offer any special features that can't be had in a standard forged receiver? If yes, are the features worth the premium to you?

If no, the answer is obvious.
    Makes sense. The YHM receivers are not much more than typical forged offerings. I was looking to cut weight out of my next build. Hoping to stay in the 16-17oz range for lower and upper (with port door and with our without FA) together. I figure tight tolerances/tight barrel fit has to be almost as big a factor in accuracy as the barrel itself. Seems like the cheaper offerings have a better chance at being a looser fit, but could just be perception.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 01svtL View Post
    I figure tight tolerances/tight barrel fit has to be almost as big a factor in accuracy as the barrel itself. Seems like the cheaper offerings have a better chance at being a looser fit, but could just be perception.
    If you are this focused on the weight factor stick with forgings.

On the matter of fit I believe that BCM slightly under-bores the barrel extension opening on their forged uppers; I know that Hodge does that as a matter of record. As a matter of personal experience neither of the two Vltor MUR uppers I have used were extremely tight on the barrel to upper fit. There are methods of insuring a tighter fit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    If you are this focused on the weight factor stick with forgings.

On the matter of fit I believe that BCM slightly under-bores the barrel extension opening on their forged uppers; I know that Hodge does that as a matter of record. As a matter of personal experience neither of the two Vltor MUR uppers I have used were extremely tight on the barrel to upper fit. There are methods of insuring a tighter fit.
    Interesting, thanks for the reply. The VLTOR MUR-1S (no FA) is actually the upper I had my eye on.