Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
I wouldn't guarantee that the spring is at fault, but the spring is easily changed by removing the stocks. Once the stocks are removed, the strain screw can be inspected while the spring is being replaced.

Model 19s are relatively easy to work on. Removing the grips, or even the side plate, doesn't cause tiny springs and parts to fly across the room at high velocity.

I do recommend purchasing the correct driver bits for S&W revolvers if you think you may want to remove the side plate/cylinder/etc. They're available from Brownells.
I will look up a couple videos online. I will look at purchasing an additional screw set just for SW revolvers. I think I have the proper bits in my "gunsmith screwdriver set," but these bits aren't marked so I could be off. I don't want to damage the gun as it's quite nice.

I did buy it used and noticed that the grip screw is a bit messed up -looks like someone used a regular flathead before me. I will look at getting a replacement for the grip screw while I am at it. Are the grip screws the same for the square and round butt? Probably not with my luck lol. I'm also gunna have to google square vs. round butts and why the difference.

Anyway, thanks for the ongoing help.