Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H or H2 for Colt SOCOM Barrel

Feedback Score

H or H2 for Colt SOCOM Barrel

I have a question about two Colt LE6920 models: the LE6920HBPW and the LE6920SOCOM.

As far as I can tell, they are all but identical except for the rollmark and the handguards. They both use a pinned/welded 14.5" SOCOM barrel. However, it seems that the HBPW comes with an H buffer while the SOCOM comes with the H2. The SOCOM coming with the H2 makes sense, that's what the military uses for their M4A1s. But why does the HBPW come with an H buffer? It is my understanding that the military/Colt puts H2 buffers in their M4A1's to prevent bolt bounce issues caused by the heavier barrel, so shouldn't the HBPW have an H2 as well?

If anyone has an LE6920HBPW, can you confirm whether it comes with an H buffer or H2?

Also, can an H2 buffer cause issues cycling low pressure .223?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I'm running an H2 in my SOCOM barreled gun. Flawless function with m193 and Wolf Gold range ammo.

As to (H2) function with "low pressure .223", try it and see. It will depend on how "low pressure" it is.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    H2 for sure. I only run an H on 14.5 BCM middies because they're nice and lean on gas.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I see you just got on the boards. H2 should work great. Many of us like the VLTOR A5 , or BCM A5 buffer systems. Very nice not necessary. Read up on them if you have not.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Colt fits their military contract M4A1s with the H2 buffer to reduce bolt bounce during auto fire. The M4A1 SOCOM is the civilian legal version and therefore comes with a H2 buffer.

Civilian M4s and M4A1s are fitted with H buffers because being semi automatic, bolt bounce isn't as great as problem. The HBPW is a civilian rifle, therefore it's fitted with an H buffer.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Colt fits their military contract M4A1s with the H2 buffer to reduce bolt bounce during auto fire. The M4A1 SOCOM is the civilian legal version and therefore comes with a H2 buffer.

Civilian M4s and M4A1s are fitted with H buffers because being semi automatic, bolt bounce isn't as great as problem. The HBPW is a civilian rifle, therefore it's fitted with an H buffer.
    ^^^^What this guy said^^^^ I run a H2 on all 3 of my SOCOM barreled rifles, and have never had an issue with .223 spec ammo. That being said, I stick to known good brands, so YMMV.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

Is it possible to experience bolt bounce with a SOCOM barrel in semi-auto? If there's even a chance I'd probably replace the H buffer with an H2.

I'm running an H2 in my SOCOM barreled gun. Flawless function with m193 and Wolf Gold range ammo.
    Good to know. I guess I'd just have to try it. I'd be pretty bummed if it couldn't run .223 with an H2 though, so it's kind of a gamble.

I see you just got on the boards. H2 should work great. Many of us like the VLTOR A5 , or BCM A5 buffer systems. Very nice not necessary. Read up on them if you have not.
    I have a VLTOR A5 extension on my AR15A4. I'm a big fan.

ETA...
    ^^^^What this guy said^^^^ I run a H2 on all 3 of my SOCOM barreled rifles, and have never had an issue with .223 spec ammo. That being said, I stick to known good brands, so YMMV.
    I stick to known good brands as well, though when there was an ammo shortage sometimes I didn't have much choice. It sounds like I'd probably be GTG with an H2 buffer anyway though.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 02-06-19 at 12:43.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Any given setup that exhibits bolt bounce will do it in semi or auto. The difference is that it doesn't affect reliability in semi as it can in auto. Having said that, I prefer an H2 (really an A5H2) over an H1 in just about any AR. You can buy tungsten buffer weights for pretty cheap and modify your H buffer for less than buying a complete H2.
    Last edited by MQ105; 02-06-19 at 13:22.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I own the HBPW version. Has H buffer.

Now wondering if/thinking ... maybe I should switch to H2?
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not this crap again, remember when I said that stupid video will lead people down the wrong road, well here you have it folks. To answer your question, YES an H2 is a more ideal weight for that barrel and gas system combination. Its less about reducing bolt bounce(which it also does) but rather balancing out bolt carrier velocity with extraction timing and ensuring proper feeding/chambering of the next round to achieve more reliability over a wider range of operating conditions, internal and external. It may also decrease the perceived recoil impulse. Bolt bounce is pretty much the last thing on the list of priories that a buffer does in the operation of the gun, since you pretty much eliminate it when running ANYTHING except a CAR buffer or 9mm buffer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast