Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H or H2 for Colt SOCOM Barrel

Feedback Score
    Eliminating bolt bounce saves more lives than being able to hit your target

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I'm not mistaken, the M4 has the same gas configuration as the M4A1 but uses an H buffer. Would it not be appropriate to say that the H2 buffer is used in the M4A1 SOCOM carbines due to the likelihood of full-auto fire?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torch-36 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the M4 has the same gas configuration as the M4A1 but uses an H buffer. Would it not be appropriate to say that the H2 buffer is used in the M4A1 SOCOM carbines due to the likelihood of full-auto fire?
    No, a Std. M4 with a gov't profile barrel should also be using a H2 buffer. It has nothing to do with full auto fire.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    You’re going to get opposing opinions on this, for different reasons.
    The M4 shipped with an H buffer. The M4A1 ships with an H2. H is appropriate for M4, though an H2 will run and may feel better to the shooter. There is a long thread on this from earlier this year/late last year that devolved pretty quickly but clearly illustrates where and why people think what they do on the subject.
    Partially, it comes down to what works for your semi-auto rifle in mild weather vs what works in all conditions with full auto fire.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?212250-Small-Arms-Solutions-video-quot-The-Buffer-Theory-and-when-to-Use-What-Buffer-quot
    Last edited by JediGuy; 03-23-19 at 07:02. Reason: Link

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Not this crap again, remember when I said that stupid video will lead people down the wrong road, well here you have it folks. To answer your question, YES an H2 is a more ideal weight for that barrel and gas system combination. Its less about reducing bolt bounce(which it also does) but rather balancing out bolt carrier velocity with extraction timing and ensuring proper feeding/chambering of the next round to achieve more reliability over a wider range of operating conditions, internal and external. It may also decrease the perceived recoil impulse. Bolt bounce is pretty much the last thing on the list of priories that a buffer does in the operation of the gun, since you pretty much eliminate it when running ANYTHING except a CAR buffer or 9mm buffer.

The video isn't stupid and it isn't factually incorrect.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Based on information I've gotten here I have changed all my buffers to H2, all of these being carbine gas systems. I have a 16" Colt M4 and a 14.5 Colt SOCOM. The SOCOM is using a Geissele super 42 spring with their H2, the M4 is using a BCM H2. Honestly I haven't noticed any difference in the way they shoot. Contrasting from the standard Geissele H1 and an H in the M4. If they lead to less wear and better than the faultless reliability I previously experienced then I'm happy.
    The Geissele spring is noticeably stiffer when charging the weapon and mine is not silent in operation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12