Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POF Revolution DI .308 Review/test

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

POF Revolution DI .308 Review/test

I have wanted a more modern battle rifle than the HK91 I own, and I debated a long time regarding which one. I considered SR-25, DD, Aero, LMT. For cost (less than KAC and LMT) and size (smaller than all) reasons, I decided to try the POF Revolution DI. This is the DI version of the Revolution piston gun, which has been on the market for a while. I chose the .308 version over the 6.5C because of ammo considerations.

So far I'm satisfied with the gun as a battle rifle. It's not super accurate in my hands, but will shoot 1 MOA with some ammo. I did not care for the factory trigger and put in an SSA. I'm also not a big fan of the hand guard; it has a small circumference, which is in style, but it rotates some when using the bi-pod. This allows it to contact the gas block. According to POF the upper will accept AR-15 barrel nuts and rails, so I may install a Geissele or ALG for more clearance and rigidity.

It has a 1:10 barrel and seems to prefer heavier/longer bullets. I'm looking for a defensive/duty round this gun shoots well. So far, the 168SMKs in Magtech and FGGM shoot the best, but I don't care for the terminal ballistics of the bullet.

Here are some shooting results from several outings. Razor HD 1-6, bi-pod or front bag, prone. Distances 100 or 200 yards as shown on the targets. Ammo type is also on the targets. Some 10 rd groups, some 5 rd groups. I think the Pakistani surplus is actually 146gr, not 147 as I wrote on the targets. Temps varied from 10-35F, alt 5150ft.

I'm interested in any information or experience you all have with the Rev DI.

Last edited by MQ105; 02-12-19 at 00:54.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Interesting!

Thanks for the report. How does it feel to shoot offhand, given that it's so much lighter than comparable 308ARs out there? Does felt recoil seem comparable to other .308s you've shot?

Also, when you say the handguard rotates under load, do you mean the bipod actually causes the handguard to spin around the barrel nut? Or does the handguard flex up and down enough to touch the gas block?

Please keep us in the loop if you decide to swap handguards.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would need to shoot an AR-10/SR-25 back-to-back with this to notice the difference. It is lighter, but the reciprocating mass is lighter also. Offhand it shoots well, though. A lot of that, I think, is the MD. It comes with a pretty good brake. I changed to a brake/QD mount for my suppressor, so I haven't shot it with a FH.

The rail rotates slightly on the barrel nut. I have the pinch bolts tightened more than I feel they should be, but it still moves. There is not much room at all between the rail and gas block, so it doesn't take a lot. There are anti-rotation tabs on the hand guard, but they are not tight to the upper, and allow some rotation. I think a different rail will solve the problem. I like a rail that is bigger around and more rigid in any case.

I have about 1200 rounds through it, so it's still pretty new. We'll have to see how it does long-term. I'd like to hear from others with first-hand experience with one of these. I have not found much information other than the marketing.
    Last edited by MQ105; 02-06-19 at 16:47.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    With about 2k rounds down range, I am having reliability problems; short-stroking, and extractor not going over the rim and bolt not quite in battery. Press the trigger and the hammer falls, but the round doesn't fire. Working the charging handle creates a double feed. Also, lots of gas leaking from the gas tube-gas block interface and gas tube-gas key junction. (cause of short-stroking??) I'm working on these and a few lesser issues... Working with POF also.

I'm still hoping to hear from other users of the Rev DI. Did I get a dud, or is this par for this model?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A couple notes from my P308:

1. E2 makes cleaning the chamber a more frequent chore. This involves a chamber brush, cleaning rod, and power drill.

2. The extractor spring does not inspire confidence.

For clarity, you’re having a failure to go into battery, then when you try to use the charging handle, the extractor either doesn’t have the rim to begin with or slips off? So the “double feed” isn’t really a double feed.

Will it fire at all? How is extraction and ejection when it does? When it malfunctions, does the forward assist help? How does the action spring measure?

On top of all this, what worries me the most is the movement of the rail. All of the above is pointless if the rail is moving. It needs to go back to POF for that alone. Make them make good on their 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Correct, it's not a double feed per se. The bolt is far enough forward to allow the trigger to release the hammer, but the round does not fire. The extractor is behind the extractor groove. It does fire 85-90% of the time. Now that I have replaced a leaky gas block-gas tube, it extracts and ejects strongly. The forward assist only works for the last, very small distance of bolt closure. It's span of operation is much shorter than an M4. It's not really useful.
    The pinch method of securing a rail doesn't work well, in my experience. There are bolts on the sides of the rail at the rear holding QD mounts on, but the bolts are too short to engage the barrel nut. Some slightly longer bolts with rounded tips would engage the scallops on the barrel nut and prevent rotation. The rail itself has too much flex and deflects enough to touch the gas block (the GB is huge).
    Also, reliability when resting the magazine on the ground is poor; failures to feed are common. Unacceptable...
    I feel like I'm having to beta test and re-engineer this thing.

I knew I was taking a chance when I bought this, so that is on me.
    Hopefully POF will help me out. I really want to use this gun for duty because I like the size and weight + .308. As of right now, however, it's not up to par.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You probably have this already on the POF website:

Technical Bulletin CMR (Revolution)

“Extractor Spring

The CMR/Revolution is a new model in the Patriot Ordnance Factory line of firearms. With the help of customer feedback and our own internal testing we have discovered that the orientation of the extractor spring is important to the functioning/cycling of the weapon. If you experience jams and ejection failures, especially after cleaning the bolt, then you should re-check the orientation of the spring in the extractor. The extractor spring has a small end and a large end. If the small end of the spring is placed into the pocket then the spring can work loose and either sit at an angle or completely come out of the pocket. The result is malfunctions in extraction and feeding.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I did see that, and verified that the spring is installed correctly. I only see failures to extract after having a failure to fire with the bolt not completely in battery.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you THOROUGHLY cleaned the chamber? And made sure there is no debris/carbon in the "E2" grooves?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have thoroughly cleaned the chamber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast