Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest a relatively inexpensive AR for a truck gun? ETA: PROBLEM SOLVED!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    What does your truck look like?

I need an inexpensive rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Key words in post #1: "cost-effective" and "reliable."
    For sure.

If I were you, I wouldn't go with anything lower than a basic Colt 6920, or maybe a higher quality "blem" build of some sort, as has been mentioned. But I'd go with a nicely broken in 6920 first.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A used (but not abused) LE6920 or a high quality budget build are my recommendations.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Upper plus lower=$620
    Colt gold extractor spring $4

Upper + Lower + Reliability = $624

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    if cheap is the main point and smaller is better (for vehicle uses), consider a PSA pistol kit ($280), plus lower ($40) and rear sight ($30), all totaling around $350

its what i built for the same need. might not be the finest option, but so far its functioned well:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165449130.html

Feedback Score
    Yeah , put me down for another vote for an econo PSA build ....and shop for as many decent, used parts as you can find.
    Percussa Resurgo ~ μολών λαβέ
    The Guerrilla Machinist

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If it's something that you're going to leave "behind the seat" of a truck and it's going to get beat around with your old Cheetos crumbs and spilled Mountain Dew, and then let go through large temperature swings daily, I'd say you want something that's not a cheap "may work" budget build.

If you legit think you'll need to shoot someone and need 100% reliability get a Colt 6720, a DD rear sight, and a couple Okay mags with high quality ammo.

As info - Guns Midwest has new 6720s for $784 as of this morning.
    Last edited by grizzlyblake; 02-07-19 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    You can get a Colt 6920 OEM for not much more than a S&W M&P Sporter II and have an actual military grade rifle. Clyde Armory has the OEMs in stock last I checked. I’d stick with companies that have military contracts.

Feedback Score
    I would probably look for a PD trade in Colt, or look for a good price on a new Colt 6720/6920/OEM. Alternately, you could spread your cost out if you wanted to build.

That’s just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Honestly, for something like that you can push almost anything into service with a few tweaks.

Make sure the carrier key is properly torqued and staked.

Lots of vibration/crap getting tossed onto it, I would personally want to have fixed sights.

Run one of Ned’s reamer’s through the chamber if the discount price makes you question the in-specness of the chamber.

Make sure the receiver extension is 7000 series aluminum and that the castle nut is properly torqued and staked.

And magically, I almost guarantee you that you will have a reliable rifle. It may not last as long as wizbang barrel steel rifles, and it may beat itself to death slowly because its so overpassed etc...but it will almost assuredly work and be fine for the life of your truck and next truck as something to always have there and shoot occasionally.

It’s a testament to the design how wrong a lot of these things can be and still work.

With all that said, look at your pricing carefully. I’m an old school chart guy. It isn’t the end of the world, but when you deviate it should be for a reason. I think it’s likely that many of the rifles you see that tick most of the boxes are going to be competitively priced with the “bargain” rifles.

If that doesn’t fit your budget, there’s a lot to be said for an inexpensive bolt action in an intermediate caliber...especially with the right sighting system and a concealed handgun.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast