Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retro Rimfire builds

Feedback Score

Retro Rimfire builds

Last edited by Gator Monroe; 02-07-19 at 00:04.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like them. Many, many years ago before ARs became mainstream, I took an EMF/Armi Jager AP-74 and added the collapsible buttstock, machined the barrel, then added a slip-over flashhider to mimic the XM 177E1 look. Was a pretty cool head turner at the range(s) way back when.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    0F996130-F2E7-41FB-BCDE-026CDE0ABC1A.jpg. 1960s Colt SP1/604 Dedicated 22 Retro Build

Feedback Score
    2BFE9115-DE12-4253-8F18-889874B48086.jpg. M16A2NM Dedicated 22 Build

Feedback Score
    Mine is a 604 series clone. Actually, it Was built with a surplus 604 upper, A1 barrel, Type D buttstock and A1 furniture and using a CMMG conversion kit. When the ejection port cover is closed and the magazine is closed, you can’t tell it apart from my 5.56mm 604 build. When I built it, I didn’t want the gas blowing back into the bolt from the gas tube so originally I was going to leave it off. However, that left the hand guard to twist since the front flange is held in place by the gas tube running through the hole. My solution was to grab an old gas tube out of the DRMO box, cut it down to a stub then instal it upside down in order to seal off the gas hole in the barrel entirely is it wasn’t needed and would keep fouling for-or blowing out over the top of the barrel under the hand guards. It’s actually been a pretty good bunny buster as well as a plonked and trainer for new shooters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I want a .22 kit but I have heard two things:

1. Best thing ever! You can live out your Vietnam War Fortunate Son fetish at your local indoor range

2. You'll mess up your barrel

Which is truth?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I want a .22 kit but I have heard two things:

1. Best thing ever! You can live out your Vietnam War Fortunate Son fetish at your local indoor range

2. You'll mess up your barrel

Which is truth?
    While I think a dedicated rimfire upper (with correct twist rate) is the way to go, .22lr ammunition is getting a lot cleaner these days if you choose wisely. Fodder like the new CCI "Clean 22" using polymer coated bullets is a godsend, particularly to those of us running cans. https://www.cci-ammunition.com/whats...wproducts.aspx

FWIW, I'm not aware of anyone actually having their 5.56 barrel ruined by shooting rimfire in it? I'd tend to think a round or two of full power centerfire after rimfire would pretty much clear it out, but I could always be wrong.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    My next build will be an M16A4 dedicated 22 build but I need some help . I have the m16A4 Engraved Lower , the MAtech rear buis , but will need a KAC M5 Front RAS HG set up with panels , could any of you guys give me a few links to web vendors who offer take off ones for sale ? ( As it is the one proprietary piece that I need to make a nice clone of a USGI M16A4 ) thanx in advance for any assistance
    Last edited by Gator Monroe; 02-07-19 at 22:17.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting.

I have an M16A1 upper 1/12 that I would like to enjoy more without having to drive, fund a buddy, blah when I got an indoor range I could be shooting .22 out of with less hassle.

Seriously looking at it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast