Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retro Rimfire builds

Feedback Score
    My original 1972 (Colt/Kaiser 603 upper with 1/12 SAK barrel ) shoots well with my spare CMMG SS 22 Conversion unit . I have not tried my USGI M261 22 Conversion unit and my 10 round inserts for it or in any of my centerfire AR platform weapons . But I will eventually get it out to the range as I have had some CLE (Compass Lake Engineering ) upgrades and spares for it .
    Last edited by Gator Monroe; 02-08-19 at 11:24.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I want a .22 kit but I have heard two things:

1. Best thing ever! You can live out your Vietnam War Fortunate Son fetish at your local indoor range

2. You'll mess up your barrel

Which is truth?
    In a CL barrel the conversion unit won't damage the chamber unless you throw sand in, then pound the conversion in.

I have seen a blocked gas port. It's not damage, it can be fixed, but it did make me recommend against heavy .22 conversion use in a rifle that may be a go to. This particular upper came off a registered lower and I would say it was run very hard with the .22 conversion.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    In a CL barrel the conversion unit won't damage the chamber unless you throw sand in, then pound the conversion in.

I have seen a blocked gas port. It's not damage, it can be fixed, but it did make me recommend against heavy .22 conversion use in a rifle that may be a go to. This particular upper came off a registered lower and I would say it was run very hard with the .22 conversion.
    okay...I solely want this for my M16A1 upper. I can't always get to a range to fun full power ammo through these days.

It's cringey but would a shot of compressed air through the gas tube clear any errant leading out for brushing/mopping?

I want to shoot my retro AR and figure this plus copper coated CCI stingers may equal good times without having to buy an umarex airsoft grade .22 to clutter up my safe.

I like my Ruger 10/22 sure enough but I want more time behind my Vietnam War build.

Also where can I get .22 conversion mags that look like 20 round straight bodies? Capacity is irrelevant
    Last edited by Firefly; 02-10-19 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It looks like BDM stopped making the Xform mags. Might need to search out some used ones, they were made in the size of 20 round straight and 30 round curved.

This one with the gas port, it had a lot of FA use. I'd just make sure to shoot a mag or two of 5.56 every time you do get to a real range. I wouldn't worry unless you start burning through .22 bulk packs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    It looks like BDM stopped making the Xform mags. Might need to search out some used ones, they were made in the size of 20 round straight and 30 round curved.

This one with the gas port, it had a lot of FA use. I'd just make sure to shoot a mag or two of 5.56 every time you do get to a real range. I wouldn't worry unless you start burning through .22 bulk packs.
    Nah just casual plinking with a few months gap to regular range. I’d only use stingers.

Has anyone ever blown air through a tube? I don’t know if it would even help. It would get a mopping regardless.

Cmmg only sells the curved. I just want the aesthetic plus I like to sit and bench. I’m just trying to relax mostly

Thanks for your input and info.
    I just want to revisit my A1 build I am less leery now.

Feedback Score
    I have 6 of the CMMG 10 rounders in the traditional 20 round Straight body gray plastic bodies from 2010- 2014 timeframe ( no longer made) and 6 of the BDM gen1 10 rounders in a black plastic 20 round straight body too . These all work in my Dedicated 22 Retros ( But 5 of the CMMG have been converted for usage with the CMMG Bolt Hold open Actuater that allows usage of Bolt catch like Centerfire configuration but with Rimfire . 60559A77-4C17-43BB-ACA6-2FA03FB87159.jpg top Rifle has the CMMG BHOA and moded CMMG mag for usage with the CMMG SS 22 Conversion unit

Feedback Score
    A company called Jaeger (if memory serves me correctly) made a .22LR and .22 Magnum M16A1 look-alike. I recall seeing them decades ago in Shotgun News. I'd LOVE to have the .22 Mag model.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I use an old Atchisson .22 conversion unit in my 1 in 12 inch twist AR shorty. It is pretty accurate and reliable in my BFI RR lower on FA. I generally shoot 300 + .22 rounds during a shooting session out of it (generally cheap bulk .22) and always finish out the session firing a round or two of 556. It has never caused a problem. The only reason I would go to a dedicated barrel is for accuracy, but with how I am shooting accuracy is not that important to me.

Last edited by dirtygary; 02-13-19 at 09:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Nah just casual plinking with a few months gap to regular range. I’d only use stingers.

Has anyone ever blown air through a tube? I don’t know if it would even help. It would get a mopping regardless.

Cmmg only sells the curved. I just want the aesthetic plus I like to sit and bench. I’m just trying to relax mostly

Thanks for your input and info.
    I just want to revisit my A1 build I am less leery now.
    I would think any PSI compressed air you could hold in the tube isn't likely to blow out anything that got packed in by the .22LR PSI.

The few rounds of 5.56 after rimfire has been the gas system cleaning I have always heard of.

I would also think cleaning with Ballistol would be a decent preventive maintenance since it legitimately does dissolve copper, lead, and powder fouling. May be slower dissolve than some other dedicated cleaners, but no concerns about long term soaking dissolving rifle parts either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygary View Post
    I use an old Atchisson .22 conversion unit in my 1 in 12 inch twist AR shorty. It is pretty accurate and reliable in my BFI RR lower on FA. I generally shoot 300 + .22 rounds during a shooting session out of it (generally cheap bulk .22) and always finish out the session firing a round or two of 556. It has never caused a problem. The only reason I would go to a dedicated barrel is for accuracy, but with how I am shooting accuracy is not that important to me.

Just picked up an original MAC/Atichisson (circa 1972 ) conversion unit & original magazine at Funshow here in Redding . Look forward to trying it out (Love the Magazine BTW ) and they are really more of a collector item (Even compared to an m261 or Airforce unit ) . (Only problem with mine is Original Cork material buffer in it has deteriorated and I'm gonna redo my own cork version and restore it to original .)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12