Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Expance (SYFY show)

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Battlestar Galactica reboot. You’re welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Finished season 4. Was good but not great compared to the past seasons, but still solid. Still the best SF on right now, some of the best ever.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    I've only read through Babylon's Ashes (Book 6), but IIRC, in Cibola Burn, on Ilus/New Terra, is the only time we see the Roci operating in an atmosphere.

I don't think the book mentioned any need to refit or modify the ship to land on a planet, but they did talk about the addition of the rail gun.
    Remember that they acquired the Tachi/Roci from the Donnager where it was in a hanger (I believe with other frigates). It would make sense for a giant war ship to be able to project force down thru atmosphere to their main intended adversary, Earth or to any of the outer colonies as a powerful occupation force.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Finished season 4. Was good but not great compared to the past seasons, but still solid. Still the best SF on right now, some of the best ever.
    In general I agree, I liked it when there was more “space” involved.

Because of your post above though I started watching Love Death and Robots. Pretty good, I like the short stories and how they leave you hanging with questions unanswered.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    In general I agree, I liked it when there was more “space” involved.

Because of your post above though I started watching Love Death and Robots. Pretty good, I like the short stories and how they leave you hanging with questions unanswered.
    I really hope they do another Love Death and Robots. It's great stuff.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Finally about midway Season 4 and a few episodes into that.

I really enjoyed the Cotyar character in Season 1-3. He's one of the characters I felt could have/should have had an expanded role in some way.

I love how they've evolved Amos' character. He was just kind of the silent strong arm of the crew for the first couple of seasons. He got some serious attention in Season 3 onward with some good one liners. I about spit out my soda when he asks Wei "so, we aren't effing any longer? Okay, see you later than."

The Thomas Jane character in Season 4 is a bit odd. It makes you wonder who's side he's really on. I'm not through yet, so no spoilers please.

I liked Dominique Tipper's hair better in Season 1-3... I do like her character though.

Ashford has been an interesting addition to the cast. You know he's up to something though.

The character chemistry between the crew of the Rocinante is fantastic. They all play well off each other.

The Bobbie arc in Season 4 is kinda distracting at the moment. I'm sure they'll figure out a way of wrapping that back up soon.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Season six has started, the first episode was good, I hope it lays the foundation for a great final season. I really hope Amazon releases the complete box set in 4K, I think that would look amazing on an OLED tv

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just finishing the last book (came out last week).

Stoked that this season is here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also finished book 9. There is NO way that 6 episodes will be sufficient. Book 9 was well done with a very satisfying conclusion.

Feedback Score
    I've enjoyed limited parts of the show, but hated or was turned off by many others. The normalized portrayal of post modern views on society/multi culturalism really put a damper on my enjoyment of the show. I'm more than ready to be done with the whole 'the future is going to be different from American norms, and that's a good thing' narrative. Real life is enough of a forced elitist dystopia, I don't want that in my entertainment.

The lead chick/love interest for the lead guy is distractingly unattractive. She's adequate as an actress, but her every stage entrance is the audio/visual equivalent of witnessing a diaper failure mid course at your favorite restaurant. It's disjointed and distracting to see the male leader characters that are/were her committed love interests, knowing what we know about male mate selection. It breaks immersion and seems to be a clear 'diversity' move rather than in the best interest of the story. It could only be more obvious if she were also 250 pounds.

The lead male character is also strange: the actor's behavior/body language is weak, submissive, and indecisive, but he's the leader because the script says so. That actor was either a poor choice for the role or the direction of his character was bad.

Amos, the Martian pilot guy, and the old Belter guy were the best male characters, by far.

The female politician was very well acted and by far the best female character, but the screen writing for her character is disjointed and inconsistent. She is portrayed at various times as being compassionate and empathetic and at others as being ruthless, crass, and reptilian. This is hardly an uncommon error in portrayal for a 'hero' character, but it bears pointing out that this is immersion breaking because it's trying to cram two opposite personality types into one character. It makes a sort of Personality Mary Sue. Better to have the character be consistent and operate within realistic bounds for that personality type.

In summary, the show could have been great, but like nearly all recent emissions from Hollywood, suffers from the forced inclusion of immersion breaking, and politically heavy handed, future social fantasy elements. I'm an American. I want entertainment that is consistent with my culture and uplifting, not insulting and threatening that the days of my nation and culture are numbered.
    Last edited by Aries144; 12-12-21 at 08:16.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112