Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion: 1-8 ATACR applications for SOCOM/most ideal weapon platform for DMR role

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Ok, with that out of the way, let's turn experiences into getting the OP's thread back on track and learn some things.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I own 2 of these awesome optics. One is on my do it all hodge mod 2 14.5 and the other is on my SOLGW 16in 308. Ive taken and used both at Buck Doyle's recce classes and scoped rifle classes. My experiences mirror Vegas' almost exactly. I had routine easy hits out to 600 and then I found I wanted just a bit more magnification past 700 and 800. On my 556 its a perfect companion, on my 16in 308 that I use like a 556 gun its a perfect companion. For my other guns I take out past 800 I use my mk6 3-18 and my atacr 4-16 with t3 reticles and offset t2s. As far as where is the cut off for this optic? I think you could rock the atacr all the way down to a 12.5in do everything 556 sbr and be perfectly content.

PS-avatar pic is a 12.5 centurion build with atacr 1-8 in kac high mount. Loved that set up
    Last edited by Furbyballer; 02-08-19 at 07:14.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Im putting mine on a 12.5" 5.56 platform. Here is a similar concept during the T&E phase of the ATACR.

http://i63.tinypic.com/10mpyms.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I need an ATACR in my life. It checks a lot of boxes. This or a Leupy Mk 8

Part of me was saving for an S&B to enjoy when I am 60 and blind. But this checks a lot of boxes for mere pigging with my SR25.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Escalated.jpg

Back to learning and not pissing.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Im putting mine on a 12.5" 5.56 platform. Here is a similar concept during the T&E phase of the ATACR.

http://i63.tinypic.com/10mpyms.jpg
    I have the NX8 on a 12.5 5.56 and it is great.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Does anyone know the why or the logic behind USSOCOM specing their ATACR riflescopes with the custom BDC combat reticle? I have heard that at some point this reticle option might be available for everyone. How does the ATACR compare with the new S&B DFP LPV scope? IMHO, if doing a lot of work past 400yds, 8x or more magnification is not only desirable but is needed, Now, if you rarely or never go past 400yds, a good 1-6x SFP LPV scope is probably a better choice and will save you a bunch of money and in some cases will save you 4-5 ounces in scope weight. Also, if I were shooting at 500-600 yds or farther a lot of the time, I would definitely choose at least a 16 inch or longer barrel, but then depending on the scenario or mission, I might also prefer to just step up to a heavier caliber, for it’s ballistic advantage at distance.
    Last edited by Biggy; 02-08-19 at 17:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    I'm talking specific LPVO's...read more carefully.

Respectfully, I was working LPVO's on the streets when you were in highschool. Not a knock on your age; just a fact. Eye problems early on took me away from Aimpoints to the Short Dot in the mid 2000's. I was into them before this explosion and I CHALLENGE you to find someone who has spent more of his own $$$'s testing various LPVO's. Here's a biggy I wrote up some years ago:
    https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/s...der-short-dots

The problem with the current LPVO "boom" is that most people who are getting into the game aren't optic savy. They just are happy that more mag means more better. I'm super critical of my optics. I actually take my stuff out and use them in the field and on call outs...even the expensive stuff.

As far as my resume:
    10+ years LE...all but the first 9 months has been with SWAT. Nearly all of that time SWAT spent as sniper of which I've served as team leader for 3 years now.
    I've been to 6 different sniper schools now.
    I've been lead weapons (pistol, rifle, shotgun) instructor for my dept, team and adjunct at the local academy for nearly that entire time
    I've done PRS in both gas gun and bolt at both large and small scale
    I'm a wrench-turner gun geek that's been to no less than 20 factory armorer schools (HK 416, HK45, Accuracy International, Rem 700, Rem 870, Glock, Colt AR15, Colt 1911, etc).
    I've been doing 2-3 OE classes on my own dime for the past 11 years with about 3 or 4 being DMR/scoped rifle.

Been into scoped semi-auto's since the only game in town was a 3x on a colt SP1 or a 4x Hensoldt on an HK91. Thus, when guys new to optics opine about FOV or eyebox, I laugh.

I've been around long enough in both the shooting world and forum world that everything I just said noted means nothing. I don't follow people. I don't care what LE does because (as you should know or will find out) 90% of LE don't care about guns. Same goes for .mil and many that do care use what's given to them. I gravitate to those that I know are as critical about this stuff as I am. I've been a student of the gun and I look/looked for others of the same mentality.
    Pretty sure Vegasshooter meant that he has 22 years in LE, not that he's 22....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Do I need a yardstick or a ruler here guys?
    Seriously...

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Man asked a question; I answered in full. If any of us had an opinion that mattered would be we be spending time here?

Somewhat relevant to the OP as far a perspective
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...42#post2705042

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast