Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock Kabooms? Not what you think

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Glock Kabooms? Not what you think

I was on a different board where handgun reliability came up. Of course everyone jumped on the Glock 40sw Kabooms but one guy insists that the local department had 45 and 9mm Kabooms. Never heard of that one before. Tried googling and all I get is the 40sw results.

Guy says it was the next department over from his. Not saying it didn't happen but find it highly unlikely. Sounds like one of those things where you heard it from someone who heard it from his cousin's step father's in-law best friend!

Still though, I'm curious. Was there ever such a thing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've seen a few pistols of all makes go kaboom over the years.

By kabooms I'm talking primarily of case head separations which vent through the lower part of the pistol, primarily the mag well.

I'm sure that you know that the .40 Glocks have a lot of case head web area unsupported which combined with the pressure of the .40 cartridge led to most of the kabooms over the years - especially with brass on the 3rd trip through the reloader.

The 9mm's and .45's don't generally have the same problems. Most of the kabooms with those are more ammo related. The first thing I'd ask your buddy is whether the PD's in question are using reloads.

If they are, it is often hard telling how many times the case has cycled through the loader.

In the case of police agencies using Glocks, you can see how the problem gets transferred to the 'Glock.'

Another thing you might ask your buddy to find out - who paid to replace the pistols?
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 02-08-19 at 12:55.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I'm sure that you know that the .40 Glocks have a lot of case head web area unsupported which combined with the pressure of the .40 cartridge led to most of the kabooms over the years - especially with brass on the 3rd trip through the reloader.
    This, but I'll add that later production Glock 40's have better support. I've shot plenty of new ammo and my reloads through my G23 and have not once seen a case with the "Glock smile" on it. Most 40S&W pistols that were originally developed as 9mm's have some lack of case support. Also, 40S&W cases now have much better case web support than they did in the beginning. Basically, I don't view this as a problem unless you shoot reloads that contain compromised cases. If you reload and find a case that has a bulge at the web, simply toss it. Lee actually makes a die to remove these bulges. I'm pretty tight when it comes to money, but I can't figure out why some people think that getting rid of this clue that the case has been compromised is worth the risk.

Last edited by Bret; 02-08-19 at 13:21.

Feedback Score
    As you probably know, Glock tightened up 6'oclock support around 2009.

I've seen a couple KB case blowouts in 9mm Glocks. (Post '09 G26 gen 3's) Both times reloads of unknown origin.

Had a buddy have a KB case blowout in a pre-09 G35. Reloads of unknown origin. Lost the extractor and spring in that one, too.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    In tens of thousands of rounds fired by co-workers/buddies and I, I have been fortunate enough to have never seen a 9mm Glock KB with military issued ammo (+P-ish) or commercially loaded ammo. My experience with 9mm Glocks only started around 2005.

Sounds like hearsay.

ETA: I know basically nothing about the .45 models, so I can’t speak to that.
    Last edited by 1168; 02-08-19 at 17:04. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    I've seen 3 Glock Kabooms.

All of them were from issued Glock .40 S&W and all were 180 grain loads from different manufacturers. All 3 happened post election 2008.

Now i'm not a huge Glock fan, though I own a few as part of my cop gun collection, IMHO the problem wasn't the firearm as it was QC issues with ammo production at the time when sales were through the roof due to Obama's election and .mil orders getting priority over civilian and LE sales.
    Last edited by jaholder; 02-08-19 at 16:22.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    The first thing I'd ask your buddy is whether the PD's in question are using reloads.
    I would bet this is the bases of 99 percent of LE kabooms. Cheap bean counters ordering manufactured ammo to save. Who know how many times that brass has been reloaded. David

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a relative just Kaboom! his Glock 22, .40 S&W.

Moncarch PPU headstamp FMJ 180 grain. He'd fired probably 2500 rounds of the same stuff with nary a problem. Then, Kaboom! I saw the case; classic Glock head blowout.

Glocks also Kaboom! in .45 ACP and 10mm.

I don't like Glocks, anyway. My M&P has the correct grip angle, and its chamber is fully supported.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've experienced kbs, and seen the aftermaths of many more. Majority were .40 and within a range of time. There were less .45s, and even less 9mms. Majority were Glocks, but there were others too. Like "brass to face", it is something created by a combination of variables and conditions, not something inherent in a make or model of gun, nor a particular ammo sku.

The "kaboom" was frequent enough with some combinations of variables that a couple of places had highly refined processes to deal with it.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I've experienced kbs, and seen the aftermaths of many more. Majority were .40 and within a range of time. There were less .45s, and even less 9mms. Majority were Glocks, but there were others too. Like "brass to face", it is something created by a combination of variables and conditions, not something inherent in a make or model of gun, nor a particular ammo sku.

The "kaboom" was frequent enough with some combinations of variables that a couple of places had highly refined processes to deal with it.
    Ok, so at least it is a possibility. There's so much shit floating around about Glocks, mostly from people with a bias. I've heard Glock mags melting to the frame in hot weather, which is why BP doesn't carry them! . So this .... especially the 9mm.... sounded like more of that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast