Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LMT MIM gas key failure

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Are the keys on the Enhanced Bolt Carrier Groups also MIM? For what you pay they better not be! (I have 4 of them)
    Pretty sure LMT developed the enhanced BCG after they stopped using MIM keys. I have 2 of the enhanced BCGs and neither of them has a MIM key.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCOAR View Post
    You can see if your bushing is GTG, by shining a light down the chassis without the barrel installed. It's right above the barrel extension hole obviously.
    Was able to take a look...removed both barrels from both uppers and shined a light in. I can see the triangle insert on both, nothing seems abnormal. Thanks for the tip though

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know which years of production LMT used MIM gas keys?

Feedback Score
    I have no useful info on when LMT did / did not use MIM anything.

In the past year I have purchased two new, non-enhanced, DI, 5.56 LMT BCGs from two different reputable suppliers. Neither key looks MIM. One key is phosphate / chrome-lined and the other key looks like Nitride - not chrome lined - on a phosphate / chrome-lined carrier.

Both BCGs look like straight-up ass.

In LMT's defense I have only made one attempt to contact them, which went un-answered. I have not pursued it further - really not interested in words coming from an organization that would ship such items.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good on them for taking care of the issue.

Here’s to hoping the fixed the problem and not the symptom.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by e z money View Post
    Does anyone know which years of production LMT used MIM gas keys?
    I do not have a concrete dates but I received a defective, malformed mim gas key on a BCG from LMT, which they quickly replaced with a new carrier with standard machined gas key. This was sometime around 2008-2009.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rifleman8 View Post
    I have no useful info on when LMT did / did not use MIM anything.

In the past year I have purchased two new, non-enhanced, DI, 5.56 LMT BCGs from two different reputable suppliers. Neither key looks MIM. One key is phosphate / chrome-lined and the other key looks like Nitride - not chrome lined - on a phosphate / chrome-lined carrier.

Both BCGs look like straight-up ass.

In LMT's defense I have only made one attempt to contact them, which went un-answered. I have not pursued it further - really not interested in words coming from an organization that would ship such items.
    FWIW, I emailed LMT yesterday afternoon and asked if their standard L7D3 BCG's have a chrome lined gas key. They got back to me first thing in the morning and said: "The bore and gas key are chrome lined."

I've been saving up to get one in my build, so it was worth verifying, before I finally ordered one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan1211 View Post
    FWIW, I emailed LMT yesterday afternoon and asked if their standard L7D3 BCG's have a chrome lined gas key. They got back to me first thing in the morning and said: "The bore and gas key are chrome lined."

I've been saving up to get one in my build, so it was worth verifying, before I finally ordered one.
    I wish you the best with your build. Hopefully you have a better experience with LMT components than I did, Cheers.
    Last edited by rifleman8; 05-10-22 at 16:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rifleman8 View Post
    I wish you the best with your build. Hope you have a better experience with LMT components than I, Cheers.
    I do as well and thanks. So, far everything I've bought from them in the past 6 months has been great quality.

I've definitely seen people report some bad QC in the past couple of years. I'm just hoping it's a matter of new workers, sending stuff out that they shouldn't have.

Feedback Score
    Just an update for anyone that comes across this again. Received my LMT L7D3 BCG and it looks excellent. Smooth phosphate coating, great machining/ staking and the gas key is indeed chrome lined (and obviously not MIM).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123