Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1 x 6 or Steiner 1 x 4 for new LE6920 Help

Feedback Score
    Well guys , slight bump in the road . Just got back from the eye Dr. and the surgery worked .... sort of. Vision is better in the right eye , but the astigmatism didn`t change . Heading to get glasses next week that both eye Docs said will correct the astigmatism . Also taking one of my red dots with me to verify . If it does , then I`ll get the Steiner on order . I also plan to play with different brightness on my existing red dots . If I can keep the illumination on the low side , they have been workable without magnification . Here`s hoping.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 63Qcode View Post
    Well guys , slight bump in the road . Just got back from the eye Dr. and the surgery worked .... sort of. Vision is better in the right eye , but the astigmatism didn`t change . Heading to get glasses next week that both eye Docs said will correct the astigmatism . Also taking one of my red dots with me to verify . If it does , then I`ll get the Steiner on order . I also plan to play with different brightness on my existing red dots . If I can keep the illumination on the low side , they have been workable without magnification . Here`s hoping.
    I have astigmatism. I wear corrective lenses. Your corrective lenses will not correct all of your astigmatism while you shoot. Why? Because the optical center of the lenses is ground in a position where you look through while looking straight ahead with the head level.

That is not the position your head is in when you shoulder a rifle. Unless you get special shooting glasses made with the optical center located where you look through the lens while a rifle is on your shoulder, any red dot that is reflected on the objective lens of a reflex sight (yep Aimpoints are reflex sights) is going to look less than perfect.

The red dot in the Steiner P4Xi is not projected. It's a pinpoint of light that appears in a tiny hole in the center of the reticle, fed via fiber optic somehow embedded in the glass and covered up by the reticle's stadia lines. To me, it looks a hell of a lot better than what any red dot sight looks like, but it's still not exactly, perfectly round. And it doesn't need to be.

If you're hoping for a perfectly round and crisp dot wit your eye condition, no scope will ever satisfy you. Adjust expectations to your optical reality, is my advice.
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 02-13-19 at 08:14.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info , maybe I should have been clearer. I`ve been fighting this for years and had the surgeries knowing that things would not be perfect.... just trying to get somewhat better and stop the downslide . Before the last surgery , eye sight was 20/80 in that eye and getting worse . After surgery , I`m back to 20/50 and still improving . I understand that the astigmatism will never be eliminated , just waiting to see how much it will be reduced with glasses . I use my current red dots ( Trijicon and Aimpoint ) with no problems as I`ve learned to adapt without glasses . Just waiting to see what happens after glasses before spending the money .
    That`s why I also have a prism scope to play with .
    This will be no different than some other changes/adjustments I`ve had to make .... i.e , I no longer race as my reflexes aren`t good enough for me to be 6 feet off someone`s rear with someone else 6 feet off mine while in the 130 mph range .... I now do HPD events instead .
    So , I understand where your are coming from and apologize if I gave the impression I expected everything to be perfect .... I didn`t . Just will wait a little while until I see where I am , which will be around the end of the month .

Feedback Score
    It's cool. Sounds like you have it rougher than I

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123