Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Going back to carrying a BUG

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    We're considering a second pistol carrying concealed?

I think for law enforcement this is a serious consideration. They, unlike us, have to be able to close in and handle violent people and arrest them. A back up pistol is good nowadays not for a New York reload, because of the vastly increased capacity of modern guns, but in case their primary gets snatched. Then they may need the backup desperately.

Us ordinary packin' folk have no reasonable likelihood of that happening. If we have to reach for a back up pistol, we should have carried another magazine.
    Three things:

1- OP is a LEO.
    B- You're wrong about the, "reasonability," of having a primary carry pistol snatched.
    III- A second gun can be used to arm a loved one or friend, in the event that a gun is needed and they didn't bring theirs (for whatever reason).
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 02-12-19 at 00:18.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

I think for law enforcement this is a serious consideration. They, unlike us, have to be able to close in and handle violent people and arrest them. A back up pistol is good nowadays not for a New York reload, because of the vastly increased capacity of modern guns, but in case their primary gets snatched. Then they may need the backup desperately.

Us ordinary packin' folk have no reasonable likelihood of that happening. If we have to reach for a back up pistol, we should have carried another magazine.
    I'm not sure if this is directed at me...

I have been a Police Officer or Deputy Sheriff for seven years, and have carried a second pistol off and on for a few of those. It's concealed, so I guess it's concealed carry? Not sure what you are getting at there.

I carry one gun off duty, but I have absolutely no qualms with anyone choosing to carry two if they so chose to do so. Sure, reloads may be a better idea, but back up guns exist for a very real reason.

Many guns get snatched from cops and concealed carriers all the time. A secondary option, knife or gun, isn't a terrible idea. Just may not be for everyone.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And if I could offer one teensy bit of advice?

Try very hard to keep the weight of the pistol under a pound. I remember having a conversation with Chuck Haggard. He said that he was pretty sure some of his knee problems were due to carrying a heavier BUG on his left ankle for years. He switched to an Airweight revolver (14 ounces), and that helped a great deal.

I'll double-check with him, but that's how I recall the conversation. And Chuck is definitely someone who's word on wheelguns I take as gospel.

Hope that helps.
    Your word is gold buddy, offer away!

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    See what Ken Null can do for you time wise, he is one of the old school world class leather artisans just like Lou Alessi was and his ankle rig is the same style as the Alessi.

Do you wear boots on duty? If so check out C. Rusty Sherrick's Joes 11-7, Rusty first got into custom leather through Ken Null, he makes holsters for LA SIS and makes one of the only leather light bearing holster I've seen.
    I wear 3/4 boots now, but usually wear full Danners. I'll check those out.

Looks like a few makers are making the Alessi design, including Tucker, who I am a big fan of.

Anyone have any experience with this Gould and Goodrich boot holster? Since I wear boots at work as it is seems like a viable option.
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/33...saAu9sEALw_wcB

Does the Alessi work over boots?
    Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 02-12-19 at 01:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Us ordinary packin' folk have no reasonable likelihood of that happening. .
    Not unlike the 3 "highwaymen" with Glocks and shotguns
    Last edited by Arik; 02-12-19 at 11:18.

Feedback Score
    I have been using the Desantis Apache holster for years with my Glock 27, both on and off duty. I also use a Ruger LCR as a back up at times and also use a Desantis Apache. Both carry fine and have been secure for me with the LCR just a bit more comfortable when in low shoes and jeans. The G27 usually resides over boots and in uniform but it too sees duty with running shoes and jeans.
    I have noticed, however, that the thumbbreak does wear out with extended use but at the cost getting a new one when the old one wears out isn't a problem.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Not unlike the 3 "highwaymen" with Glocks and shotguns
    Chortle all you want; that case happened 40 miles south of where I'm sitting now. Flat tire man had nought but a concealable pistola.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)

Please, please, please stick to your lane.

Did you ever consider that carrying a spare pistol is carrying a spare magazine - you are just wrapping another pistol around it as a protective coating?

And that's a rhetorical question, since we had to explain to you what a BUG actually is in post number 11. Sigh.

Amazing as it sounds, it's entirely possible to grip a BUG in one's offside pocket, and present a lower profile. I know, I've been doing that for a couple of decades. All the while carrying a Glock 19 primary on my strong side.

Please depart from this thread, and trouble us no further.

Please read more and post less. Honestly. Or don't, and get voted off the island.

Feedback Score

I carry both. (Not LE) it provides options.

Carrying a spare magazine is no big deal (and a must) to me and neither is carrying a BUG in a pocket holster.

IMO 20 oz is the weight limit for short term BUG carry. For carrying "all day" I prefer under 16 oz loaded. Under 12 oz loaded is when I can truly "forget its there".

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Alessi alert !

I was a fan of the Alessi product when Lou was alive. Their wait was long but manageable and you always get what you ordered. When Lou left this world, Tom Kulwicki took over the shop. Again, their wait was long but they delivered. Then Tom passed away and the current business is run by who knows. It seems that they now share space with a gun store/indoor range. I've heard of phone calls not answered, emails ignored and products not delivered.

If someone actually received their order from the current Alessi company RECENTLY, please step forward, prove me wrong.

Alessi used to have a booth at SHOT. They didn't show up this year. Beware of this if you place an order.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Rats, I am really sorry to hear that. Mine is 20+ years old and still going strong.

It might be worthwhile for the OP to try and find a used one in good condition.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast