Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Going back to carrying a BUG

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    The saga continues...

Went to pick up the "hand picked" replacement from Tanner's Sport Center, making it my second trip to my gunshop that's 40mi away. Picked up the 442, immediately heard a "clinking" noise on the floor. I looked down, and saw that the S&W medallion from the grip had fallen out. It would not stay in place, and seems like it was never glued in (how do they miss that when hand picking it for me?). Opened the cylinder, closed it, and on the second or third trigger pull, the trigger and cylinder would bind, requiring the cylinder to be opened and closed again. This happened numerous times. The gunstore employees are now watching this in amazement, as they remember when I had the crooked barrel 442 last week. They're apologizing to me for Tanner's wasting my time yet again, but it's not my LGS' fault. They're also telling me they've never dealt with such poorly assembled revolvers, and they seriously question how Tanner's is able to sell these this cheap...

I call Tanner's and speak to Peter, who handles online sales. He's a complete prick to me, essentially accusing me of doing something to cause this, and telling me that he's sold over 500 of these and I'm the only one who's ever had not one, but two lemons. I believe he thinks I can torque barrels out of spec, rip grips apart, and open the internals of a J Frame on demand to modify the guts. We're in agreement that I'll get a refund, but it's still up in the air whether or not I'll get my $30 for shipping back. It would seem that I much rather wasting my time, money and gas, and going gunless multiple times, than simply going home with one of Tanner's "special" 442's.

While waiting around at the LGS, I see a few used 642's in the display case. One is a 642-1, no lock, great shape, with a better than the "performance center" mockery from Tanner's trigger. I bought it and twenty minutes later went home with it. Threw on some Altamont grips, dry fired it a whole bunch of times, and put it into the holster. I'm happy with it, and best of all....it works.

Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 02-21-19 at 08:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    They're apologizing to me for Tanner's wasting my time yet again, but it's not my LGS' fault. They're also telling me they've never dealt with such poorly assembled revolvers, and they seriously question how Tanner's is able to sell these this cheap...
    I was just thinking about this last night.

And I'm sorry too! Can't help but feel partially responsible for this.

I know who Pete is and I'm surprised he acted that way. I actually saw him the day after you posted the first gun but I don't say anything since you already mentioned they shipped out a new one. Wouldn't have made a difference at that point.
    I believe he probably just picked it up, looked at the barrel and put it back in the box. Not making excuses, just what I have a feeling he did.

While I haven't been in there since before Christmas (except last Friday) at one point I was in there almost daily for the better part of the last 15 years. I've always had nothing but good things to say about them. There have been several times in my noob days where I'd buy a used and long out of warranty junker only to have something break. They took care of everything at no cost to me, no questions asked. And their prices have always been great. Which is why I didn't hesitate to recommend them and why I'm surprised at the lack of care and poor customer service.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that!

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I was just thinking about this last night.

And I'm sorry too! Can't help but feel partially responsible for this.

I know who Pete is and I'm surprised he acted that way. I actually saw him the day after you posted the first gun but I don't say anything since you already mentioned they shipped out a new one. Wouldn't have made a difference at that point.
    I believe he probably just picked it up, looked at the barrel and put it back in the box. Not making excuses, just what I have a feeling he did.

While I haven't been in there since before Christmas (except last Friday) at one point I was in there almost daily for the better part of the last 15 years. I've always had nothing but good things to say about them. There have been several times in my noob days where I'd buy a used and long out of warranty junker only to have something break. They took care of everything at no cost to me, no questions asked. And their prices have always been great. Which is why I didn't hesitate to recommend them and why I'm surprised at the lack of care and poor customer service.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that!
    Not your fault buddy! Peter has replied to my email and says I will be refunded in full when he receives the gun back. If/when that happens, I'll be mostly satisfied.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    LGS some years ago had a revolver with similar grips that had a medallion come loose on. Didn't fall out, but it was loose. So that might be on the people making the grips.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    LGS some years ago had a revolver with similar grips that had a medallion come loose on. Didn't fall out, but it was loose. So that might be on the people making the grips.
    That's on S&W IMO. It could have been loose enough that it fell off during transportation but common man..... don't just look at the gun when shipping it out! Check it over, pull the trigger a few times...etc.. even just looking at it would have avoided the first one! Takes a min to do!!!

And to S&W..... seriously?????

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a 25+ year old Alessi ankle holster for a j-frame, and a few years ago when I went to get another one I decided to get it from Ritchie Leather Co. I have been as satisfied with their product as with my Alessi. I daily carry a 642.
    One side note on the 642: If you shoot one a lot you have a good chance of breaking it. I have had three 642s crack the frame after 2500-3000 rounds of standard pressure 38spl. After waiting several months for S&W to replace each (no lock, so it took a while each time) I bought a 640 and I use that to train.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I ran across this 442 no dash w/o a cylinder turn ring. Was told it was bought new for the little woman, she shot a load through and never touched it again. You guys are a bad influence.

442-1.jpg
    442-2.jpg
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I ran across this 442 no dash w/o a cylinder turn ring. Was told it was bought new for the little woman, she shot a load through and never touched it again. You guys are a bad influence.

442-1.jpg
    442-2.jpg
    I wonder how many J Frames have been shot less than 10 times....I'd say many. The trick is finding them.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I wonder how many J Frames have been shot less than 10 times....I'd say many. The trick is finding them.
    Judging by all the "expects" I see recommending J-frames to novice females on the premise of simplicity I'd also say many. I've been watching for one to pop up.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Judging by all the "expects" I see recommending J-frames to novice females on the premise of simplicity I'd also say many. I've been watching for one to pop up.
    I'm guilty of the same...twice. Bought my wife a 642 that she hated, she doesn't shoot anything now. Bought a 340M&P for myself, sold it after a whole three rounds!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast