Thread: USGI A1 handguard gap

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

USGI A1 handguard gap

What is the normal seam width on the bottom of the guards? My brownells guards were almost perfect. I picked up an all original USGI set and there is small gap now that runs the length of the seam. The USGI set is “collectors grade” and really does look like new/feels great, but the gap kinda sucks. What was the field expedient fix for this? I was thinking piece of skateboard tape.

I now have a cleaning kit in my buttstock, not sure I needed it but it was fun tracking down the old stuff.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The field expedient fix was to not worry about the gap which served a purpose in a jungle environment, but if you want to make your hand guards watertight skate board tape ought to work.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 02-09-19 at 06:49.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Frankly, not something I would worry about. Even some of the M16A1s I used back in the late 1970s, the handguards jiggled, but that did not hinder use whatsoever. I will add that when we would go out on recon training missions, we had to silence everything that could make a noise. We used, what we called 30 MPH tape which was essentially like OD Green duct tape, to secure everything. This also included wrapping some around handguards in a couple places.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 02-09-19 at 07:00.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    OD Green and Dark Green gaffer tape?

https://www.tapedepot.com/product/st...er-tape-67680/

Didn’t think about water drainage, just figured it was a fit/finish issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is my understanding gaffer tape doesn't leave sticky goo like duct tape when removed, but have never tried it as far as I know.

I have used this via various surplus shops.

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/100mphtape.aspx

I would say the gap was either an original tolerance issue or something that has popped up from being 30+ years old. If something won't fall through the legit holes where the halves meet, it isn't going to fall through gaps in the webs in between the holes either.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 02-09-19 at 09:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    OD Green and Dark Green gaffer tape?

https://www.tapedepot.com/product/st...er-tape-67680/

Didn’t think about water drainage, just figured it was a fit/finish issue.
    Like I said, we only taped things when we were going out on training missions for stealth purposes. DO NOT worry about the gap in your handguards. In addition, there is no drainage issue with those handguards. You do not have the need to seal up anything to make them waterproof as they are not intended to be such from the start. Leave the handguards as they are and you will be fine.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    I accumulated a couple three sets of triangular handguards when I was building my M16A1 clone, and the original furniture was more abundant. The ones I'm using are a great, but not perfect, fit.
    My recollection of the GI furniture back in the day (the gummint gave me an M16, but I didn't have to run thru' the jungle with it) was a less than perfect fit between the halves.
    It was a military weapon after all. For the OP, don't sweat it.
    Moon