Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN 509?

Feedback Score

FN 509?

LGS had a full sized model to look at. I was impressed by the quality of construction when we took it apart. Trigger was good (better than Glock; PPQ and VP9 are probably slightly better).

Does anyone have trigger time with this pistol beyond Youtube reviews? I’ve tried the PPQ, CZ P10 and VP9, and neither one makes me want to give up my Glock 17/19/26.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I do have experience with a 509 beyond my youtube review above. I've shot at least 2 or 3 mags through it every week since the video was published and it's still flawless reliability wise to date. I think if FN could get their marketing straightened out they'd sell these by the truckload.

Feedback Score
    They're all just basically the same thing.

I'm not suggesting this of you, but most people make too much of any subtle differences. If you really need the greatest trigger known to man, here's a shocker: it ain't found in a polymer framed duty gun.

I shoot Glocks because they're a time tested product with near endless aftermarket support. I also know I'm not special or unique and thusly don't need a gun to reflect my individuality.

Will the 509 end up forgotten like the FNS and FNX that came before? And when I say forgotten, I mean by both the public and the manufacturer.

I don't watch any YouTube shill channels. They like everything.

I don't know who said this first, because I'd like to attribute them:

Pick one and practice.
    Last edited by hopetonbrown; 02-09-19 at 22:56.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    LGS had a full sized model to look at. I was impressed by the quality of construction when we took it apart. Trigger was good (better than Glock; PPQ and VP9 are probably slightly better).

Does anyone have trigger time with this pistol beyond Youtube reviews? I’ve tried the PPQ, CZ P10 and VP9, and neither one makes me want to give up my Glock 17/19/26.

Thanks
    If none of those pistols make you want to drop your glock, then double down on the glock platform and dump the rest of the money into ammo and training.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply.

I want another brand of “go to” 9 mm striker fired pistol so I have something else just besides a glock. I think it’s important to become familiar with other guns and not just always use one brand.

The next time I stop by a Point Blank in Indy, I’ll see if they have one to rent, specifically the new midsized model. I was not impressed by the FNX 9, but the 509 gave me pause when I took it apart at my LGS.

Thanks everyone. More comments/experiences are welcomed.

Feedback Score
    I want another brand of “go to” 9 mm striker fired pistol so I have something else just besides a glock. I think it’s important to become familiar with other guns and not just always use one brand.
    Why is that important?

Feedback Score
    It’s never good to be just a one trick pony. I think diversity of knowledge and skill sets is important when it comes to employing weapons for defensive purposes. On the same token, I’m not advocating shooting 5-6 different types of guns, but having at least 1-2 other tools is never a bad thing if one can afford it.

Feedback Score
    Owning another polymer framed striker fired duty gun is not an example of "diversity of knowledge and skill sets".

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetonbrown View Post
    Owning another polymer framed striker fired duty gun is not an example of "diversity of knowledge and skill sets".
    Agreed, if you just want to develop as a shooter DA/SA, 1911s and revolvers will do more to broaden one’s skill set.

Going back to the OP, Ihave limited time on the 509. The trigger out of the box is nothing special but the apex 509 trigger is very nice.

I have been (justifiably) critical of FN’s handgun fiascos but a variant of the 509 was able to pass the recent US ICE testing. Though the P320 won the contract the FN was the only other gun to successfully pass all requirements. The live fire testing included 10 examples, 5 with WML mounted, 5 without, each fired for 10,000 rounds in strings of 250 rounds at a time. Test ammo was 124 grain +p Gold Dot.

FN may have finally gotten their handgun game right but it doesn’t really do anything the Glock, P320, M&P or APX don’t do.

Feedback Score
    It’s never good to be just a one trick pony. I think diversity of knowledge and skill sets is important when it comes to employing weapons for defensive purposes. On the same token, I’m not advocating shooting 5-6 different types of guns, but having at least 1-2 other tools is never a bad thing if one can afford it.
    The phrase “Jack of all trades, master of none.” comes to mind. I disagree with your sentiment quoted here. It’s one thing to learn to drive a manual just in case, even though you own an auto. But with a weapon with a unique grip, feel, weight, recoil characteristics, manual of arms/ button placement, trigger characteristics, etc. you’d really be doing yourself a disservice to train on several platforms. Learn your chosen weapon VERY well, then don’t “cheat” on her. Those are my thoughts at least.

Now having said that, I get it. I want an HK really bad, but I won’t carry it and don’t want to start messing up my technique with glocks. So Glock fanboi I remain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast