Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk power tools

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    List of problems I’ve had with Dewalt:

1)
    Same. I have drills/drivers, impact, circular saw, jig saw, angle grinder and could be happier.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hilti, then everything else. Seriously.
    If that isn't in the cards for the price, then Milwaukee.

However, I have been really impressed with the Kobalt line of late. Brushless motors too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The company I work for has a shop of 45+ maintenance guys and they all share the same tools out of the tool crib. For several years we exclusively bought DeWalt power tools. They were used and abused and had to be replaced or repaired on average every 6-12 months, main problem being the clutches or gearboxes.
    About 5-6 years ago we transitioned over to Milwaukee power tools. Difference is night and day & breakdowns have basically become nonexistent.

Not-so-coincidently, every, and I mean EVERY, outside contractor that comes into our facility exclusively uses Milwaukee tools. Whether they are plumbers, electricians, HVAC, or general contractors, they all use Milwaukee tools. That speaks volumes to me.
    I’ve personally owned & used many brands of power tools & I see a difference in quality. My personal collection of tools is now black and red.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I sell Milwaukee, Makita, and Dewalt in my hardware store. We have a rental department and I gave them Dewalts to maintain their tools, and we rent them as well. Zero issues. My Stihl shop uses Makita tools, just a drill and an 1/4 drive impact. Zero Issues. My truck repair shop uses Milwaukee. Zero Issues. As a homeowner, even if you use them every day, it is tough to go wrong with any of these brands.

I have purchased one of Milwaukee's new "Surge" 1/4 drive impacts for my personal use (and in the truck shop)... and it is a complete BEAST. It's a good thing it has 1 through 3 power settings as it will snap off 1/4" bolts with ease. It's also quieter than most other impacts. It's an excellent tool.

One of my buddies is an A&P for a major airline. Their entire maintenance shop is Milwaukee.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 02-10-19 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had one failure with a Dewalt cordless drill, I burned the brushes out driving one too many deck screws. My other Dewalt corded hammer drill is a freaking beast though.

I own a Makita circular saw, and reciprocal saw both have been excellent, both are corded.

My current cordless drill is a Bosch and I like it a lot. Also have a Bosch oscillating tool, that I absolutely love.

I’ve used a bunch of Milwaukee cordless masonry drills and burned them up, the hammering mechanisms didn’t last drilling into chert underground in a cave. Nothing would. All of those were basically disposable, although for normal drilling they still worked as intended. For that job a corded heavy duty masonry drill would have been better performing, but was impractical to get into the cave where we needed them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I’ve used a bunch of Milwaukee cordless masonry drills and burned them up, the hammering mechanisms didn’t last drilling into chert underground in a cave. Nothing would. All of those were basically disposable, although for normal drilling they still worked as intended. For that job a corded heavy duty masonry drill would have been better performing, but was impractical to get into the cave where we needed them.
    Were they hammer drills or rotary hammers?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Good stuff y’all. Much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    One more thing:

My father in law owns a very busy drywall company. They use Dewalt because they get a good deal on their corporate account at Lowes. He said theyb replace them often as they constantly burn out. His personal tool collection is made up of Milwaukee, which is what sold me on them in the first place.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's just going to depend on how much you'll end up using it. I have a ton of tools for home and car and it's a mix of Harbor Freight and random name brands. I have 2 cordless drills that I've had for over 15 years. None of my tools have ever broken BUT....im not a carpenter or a mechanic. I use them when something needs to be fixed and in my comfort zone/knowledge base. I'm not going to put on a new roof but I will do flooring and tile. So I'm fine with a $10 tool, knowing full well that it's a junker but will probably last long enough for me to misplace it or forget I have it

I would LOVE to have quality tools I just don't use them enough to justify the price
    Last edited by Arik; 02-11-19 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I recently purchased a 6 tool kit of Rigid. I have heard good things about them from friends who use tools much more than I do. For my use and purposes I chose not to justify the price of Makita, Milwaukee and even Hilti (use a lot of these at my work). I am pleased so far with the Rigid which use LiOn batteries...huge improvement over my NiMH DeWalt stuff from 2005 (replaced the batteries several times).
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast