Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk power tools

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    It's just going to depend on how much you'll end up using it. I have a ton of tools for home and car and it's a mix of Harbor Freight and random name brands. I have 2 cordless drills that I've had for over 15 years. None of my tools have ever broken BUT....im not a carpenter or a mechanic. I use them when something needs to be fixed and in my comfort zone/knowledge base. I'm not going to put on a new roof but I will do flooring and tile. So I'm fine with a $10 tool, knowing full well that it's a junker but will probably last long enough for me to misplace it or forget I have it

I would LOVE to have quality tools I just don't use them enough to justify the price
    I have never bought anything from harbor freight that was worth more than half of what I paid for it. Tell us about these cordless drills that you have had for over 15 years. Have you ever used them. I smell BS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I have never bought anything from harbor freight that was worth more than half of what I paid for it. Tell us about these cordless drills that you have had for over 15 years. Have you ever used them. I smell BS.
    Reading comprehension fail? I said I have a harbor freight AND random name brands. The key word there was AND!

Having said that I have no idea the name of the drills. I'd have to go look for them. Neither did I say I use them daily. In fact I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I use them only WHEN something needs fixing! Last time I remember using one of the drills was a year and a half ago when helping my sister move. So in 15 years is it possible to use a product 6 - 12 times without breaking it?
    Last edited by Arik; 02-11-19 at 19:24.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Were they hammer drills or rotary hammers?
    Hammer drills. We were using them because they were the tool we could easily get into the work space, not because it was the ideal tool for drilling into hard rock all day.

We also cooked masonry drill bits like it was going out of style.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Hammer drills. We were using them because they were the tool we could easily get into the work space, not because it was the ideal tool for drilling into hard rock all day.

We also cooked masonry drill bits like it was going out of style.
    Got ya. Yup, hammer drills are for the small stuff like Tapcons and stuff. Not surprised they burned up. Rotary hammers with sds and sds max bits with the 4 carbide edges are the way to go for real concrete and stone drilling.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Got ya. Yup, hammer drills are for the small stuff like Tapcons and stuff. Not surprised they burned up. Rotary hammers with sds and sds max bits with the 4 carbide edges are the way to go for real concrete and stone drilling.
    Yep, can’t blame the tool when it’s the wrong one for the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    This is a very timely thread, I've been wanting to buy a nice cordless drill for myself. Back when I was slamming nails for a living I always bought Milwaukee power but wanted to check other options as that was many moons ago, it's good to see they are still well regarded.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I have a family member that continually buys cheap power tools just to save a buck. He has the mentality that he can buy 15 cheap versions for the price of one quality tool. One time as a gift, he bought me a HF angle grinder. Not being a total dick, I just smiled & said thanks & threw it in my garage. About a week later I had a project where I needed to use one. I thought “ugh”, I didn’t want to even plug this POS in, but it was a quick 30 second grind... or so I thought.
    About 10 seconds into it, the grinding wheel flies off. I thought “that figures”. Maybe the nut just wasn’t tight. So I put the wheel back on reef the nut tight. About 15 seconds into the second go at it, the wheel flies off again, hits the wall in front of me, ricochets back at me & hits me square between the eyes. Thankfully I had safety glasses on.
    I unplugged to POS & threw it right into the garbage. This reenforced what I already knew.

So yeah, even if you only use a tool three times a year, it needs to work.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I have a family member that continually buys cheap power tools just to save a buck. He has the mentality that he can buy 15 cheap versions for the price of one quality tool. One time as a gift, he bought me a HF angle grinder. Not being a total dick, I just smiled & said thanks & threw it in my garage. About a week later I had a project where I needed to use one. I thought “ugh”, I didn’t want to even plug this POS in, but it was a quick 30 second grind... or so I thought.
    About 10 seconds into it, the grinding wheel flies off. I thought “that figures”. Maybe the nut just wasn’t tight. So I put the wheel back on reef the nut tight. About 15 seconds into the second go at it, the wheel flies off again, hits the wall in front of me, ricochets back at me & hits me square between the eyes. Thankfully I had safety glasses on.
    I unplugged to POS & threw it right into the garbage. This reenforced what I already knew.

So yeah, even if you only use a tool three times a year, it needs to work.
    **** that place, I'll never spend another dime there. I'd rather just put my cash in a pile and burn and save myself the aggravation.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    **** that place, I'll never spend another dime there. I'd rather just put my cash in a pile and burn and save myself the aggravation.
    I’m sure their moving blankets are probably ok.
    Believe it or not, I’ve actually been reading a lot of good reviews about their generators & their knockoff Pelican cases.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    It's just going to depend on how much you'll end up using it. I have a ton of tools for home and car and it's a mix of Harbor Freight and random name brands. I have 2 cordless drills that I've had for over 15 years. None of my tools have ever broken BUT....im not a carpenter or a mechanic. I use them when something needs to be fixed and in my comfort zone/knowledge base. I'm not going to put on a new roof but I will do flooring and tile. So I'm fine with a $10 tool, knowing full well that it's a junker but will probably last long enough for me to misplace it or forget I have it

I would LOVE to have quality tools I just don't use them enough to justify the price
    By the same token, Bushmaster ought to be more than good enough to have in your gun safe along with a HiPoint for the occasional problem inside 25 yards. Good enough for the non-professional, right?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast