G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Thinking of getting a SIG 716 DMR. 18” 6.5 Creedmoor. Talk me out of it.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    N. Alabama
    Posts
    2,022
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

    Thinking of getting a SIG 716 DMR. 18” 6.5 Creedmoor. Talk me out of it.

    I have a line on a 716G2 DMR IN 6.5 Creedmoor. 18” barrel, FDE, Magpul PRS stock, updated M-lok handguards, etc. new in box for a VERY good price. I’ve never owned a 6.5 OR a semi-auto precision rifle. All my precision shooting has been with 7.62 in bolt guns. I’m clueless about 6.5 ballistics from a barrel that length and barrel life on 6.5s. I’ve been planning on buying a precision big bore gas gun and/or a 6.5 bolt gun at some point and this seems like a twofer to me. Any advice?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,819
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have no experience with the 716 but you will be fine performance wise with an 18" 6.5CM. Plenty of folks running that length and even 16" I have a 24" AI bolt so no comparison. Barrel life is kind of relative to what standards you have and how the barrel lives. More than likely, a semi will have less only from the standpoint that the user will tend to run it harder. More than likely, 2500-3000 with moderate use and with that gun, maybe(I realistic guess) 1.5" capable--realistic, not internet 1/2" all day bull. Again, life will be dependent on the standard set for accuracy.

    Maybe ask yourself what are the plans for it's use?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    East of Atlanta
    Posts
    415
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you had to pay full price, would the 716 be on your radar? I guess I’m asking, is it the “deal” that’s drawing you or the rifle? $2k will get you a used MWS or a new Colt 901.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    9,141
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I have a line on a 716G2 DMR IN 6.5 Creedmoor. 18” barrel, FDE, Magpul PRS stock, updated M-lok handguards, etc. new in box for a VERY good price. I’ve never owned a 6.5 OR a semi-auto precision rifle. All my precision shooting has been with 7.62 in bolt guns. I’m clueless about 6.5 ballistics from a barrel that length and barrel life on 6.5s. I’ve been planning on buying a precision big bore gas gun and/or a 6.5 bolt gun at some point and this seems like a twofer to me. Any advice?
    What do you want to do with it?
    Jack Leuba
    Director, Military and Government Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

    Director of Training

    FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC
    As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    N. Alabama
    Posts
    2,022
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My planned use case is general target shooting from 300-??? and I would like to try some more F-class shooting with a semi. I've competed a couple of times using a GAP Rock in .308 but I'd like 1) something in 6.5, 2) a semi auto since I now shoot left handed and I don't feel like messing with a new LH bolt gun 3) I inherited a number of bolt guns from my father when he passed away a couple of years ago so a precision semi is a novelty to me.

    This particular gun (SIG 716) popped up on my radar first when Lowlight at Snipers Hide posted a review of the JP LRP in 6.5 last year. At the bottom of the article he mentioned that he had seen "outstanding shooting rifles from this platform."

    https://www.snipershide.com/jp-enter...edmoor-review/

    Now seeing one, LOCALLY for a good price I was thinking of taking a chance. I see virtually ZERO reviews of them online. While a KAC would be my dream gun, I can't justify that kind of money for MY use case. The LMT MWS guns are comparable price-wise (with the base barrel and stock) and I like the ability to change/replace barrels as needs change and parts wear out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    25,944
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    If you had to pay full price, would the 716 be on your radar? I guess I’m asking, is it the “deal” that’s drawing you or the rifle? $2k will get you a used MWS or a new Colt 901.
    And with the MWS, you can switch back to .308 fairly easily if you aren't feeling the 6.5 thing.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    9,141
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    My planned use case is general target shooting from 300-??? and I would like to try some more F-class shooting with a semi. I've competed a couple of times using a GAP Rock in .308 but I'd like 1) something in 6.5, 2) a semi auto since I now shoot left handed and I don't feel like messing with a new LH bolt gun 3) I inherited a number of bolt guns from my father when he passed away a couple of years ago so a precision semi is a novelty to me.

    This particular gun (SIG 716) popped up on my radar first when Lowlight at Snipers Hide posted a review of the JP LRP in 6.5 last year. At the bottom of the article he mentioned that he had seen "outstanding shooting rifles from this platform."

    https://www.snipershide.com/jp-enter...edmoor-review/

    Now seeing one, LOCALLY for a good price I was thinking of taking a chance. I see virtually ZERO reviews of them online. While a KAC would be my dream gun, I can't justify that kind of money for MY use case. The LMT MWS guns are comparable price-wise (with the base barrel and stock) and I like the ability to change/replace barrels as needs change and parts wear out.
    Just to be upfront, I don't use M4C as a marketing or sales mechanism for KAC, I'm here as a moderator and to share what I can with regard to the software side of the equation, and to answer any questions or concerns about KAC when they come up. Of course, I am biased toward KAC products, but I do my best to stay on the "informative" side rather than tirelessly telling people to buy KAC.

    Anyway...

    With the gun local, at a good price, I'd be hard pressed to say no if I was in your shoes. LMT makes very good rifles.
    18" is a bit short for what you are saying you want to do, but you can always get a more applicable barrel later on if it makes sense, or seamlessly transition that barrel into where it's going to excel; things like varmint eradication, hog hunting, etc.
    Jack Leuba
    Director, Military and Government Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

    Director of Training

    FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC
    As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    N. Alabama
    Posts
    2,022
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Just to be upfront, I don't use M4C as a marketing or sales mechanism for KAC, I'm here as a moderator and to share what I can with regard to the software side of the equation, and to answer any questions or concerns about KAC when they come up. Of course, I am biased toward KAC products, but I do my best to stay on the "informative" side rather than tirelessly telling people to buy KAC.

    Anyway...

    With the gun local, at a good price, I'd be hard pressed to say no if I was in your shoes. LMT makes very good rifles.
    18" is a bit short for what you are saying you want to do, but you can always get a more applicable barrel later on if it makes sense, or seamlessly transition that barrel into where it's going to excel; things like varmint eradication, hog hunting, etc.
    I totally didn't mean to imply that you would steer me towards any gun but what you think would fit my needs. I've always enjoyed reading your posts and appreciate the impartiality combined with knowledge and experience you convey.

    But for clarification, the SIG 716G2 DMR in 6.5 is the gun local to me. There may be a LMT MWS, however, because I see that that a new store/range in town is now listed as a LMT dealer. I just haven't made it over there to check the place out yet.

    Thanks for all the input.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    9,141
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    But for clarification, the SIG 716G2 DMR in 6.5 is the gun local to me. There may be a LMT MWS, however, because I see that that a new store/range in town is now listed as a LMT dealer. I just haven't made it over there to check the place out yet.
    D'OH!
    Completely had the post from markm in my head and transposed the manufacturer. Apologies.

    And thank you for the kind words, happy to help when I can.
    Jack Leuba
    Director, Military and Government Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

    Director of Training

    FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC
    As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    N. Alabama
    Posts
    2,022
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As I think on it more, I’m concerned now on the suppressed vs non-suppressed ability of the LMT.

    I contacted SIG customer service to enquire about options with the 716, given the shorter relative barrel life of a 6.5 gun. The guy I got seemed clueless and just said if the gun looses accuracy it will just have to be sent back and be evaluated if it’s still under warranty or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •