Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6,8 SPC and 6.5 Gredel

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    OP, if you aren't going to be shooting it a lot, don't go down the rabbit hole of reloading for it. Save the brass you can readily find and sell it. Don't let training or shooting be affected by where your brass goes and trying to find it. If you do want to shoot it more than the cheap Wolf 6.5G steel case is actually decent ammo for training and reasonable accurate.

Either caliber, stay with a light 16" barrel and low power variable. You will have a light capable weapon usable for short to mid range, well within ethical distances-and user ability. Heck, my son's first 6.5G had an Aimpoint Comp M2 on it, great woods gun.

Great barrels I've had are the Wilson Combat 6.8 16" lightweight ss, AA fluted 16" 6.5G, LMT MRP 6.8 16" and a Shilen Select Match 18" 6.5G.

Let us know where you hunt, terrain and distance and I'm sure you will get guidance on optics.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brutus51 View Post
    New guy to the forum and AR's in general. Have had a Bushmaster V match for many years, just don't shoot it much, primarily because it's setup for long range shooting with a 4X14 scope.
    Nearest 300 yard range is 100 miles from home so I only get there once or twice a year. We have a 200 yard outdoor range about 40 miles away and numerous 25 yard indoor ranges,
    As a result I popped for a DDM4 V5 with a Trijicon 1X4 Accupower for use at those facilities.

In my neck of the woods .223's are illegal to use for deer hunting and my 30/06 or 30/30 have been doing the job for the last 45 years but I'm getting the bug to use this setup on next years hunt.
    I've read a good deal about the 6.8 SPC, which DD makes an upper for, and the 6.5 Grendel, which they don't. Anyone out there using the 6.8 for deer?
    like somone above said it's tough to get real facts about the two but here are a few.
    6.8 ammo https://www.midwayusa.com/68mm-remin...c/br?cid=21965
    6.5 ammo https://www.midwayusa.com/65-grendel/br?cid=10207

Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com Statistics
    Threads
    Members

6.5 Grendel Forum : : For the 6.5 Grendel Aficionado Statistics
    Threads
    Members
    As for opinions-I've used and sold the 300BO, Grendel and 6.8. Out of the 3 for hunting I would use the 6.8, it has more USABLE hunting bullets and starts off apx 100fps faster than the Grendel. For longer range target shooting I would use the Grendel, it has more USABLE target type bullets.
    Last edited by constructor; 02-11-19 at 12:36.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I know it's been discussed before, but let's say, theoretically, either the 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC were being considered as a general purpose cartridge to replace the 5.56. I know two of the major issues this presents is that the larger bolt faces necessitated by the wider rims of the 6.5 and 6.8 make the bolts quite a bit weaker. Also, I understand that polymer mags like PMAGs and probably Lancers can't take the larger rounds if the mag is the same width and thickness as the 5.56 mags, meaning your stuck with steel and aluminum mags, or you need new lowers.

Has anything been done to fix these issues?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not all bolts are created equal. Both LMT and JP make 6.8 SPC bolts that are enhanced to increase their durability, compared to a standard 5.56 bolt with just a modified bolt face.

5.56 magazines aren't compatible with 6.8 and 6.5mm cartridges, even with different followers. There are multiple manufacturers of each type magazines.

There are no changes required for the lower receiver.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 6.8 is a smaller case head than 6.5 and I don't know of any trend of bolt breakage. The 6.5 is a larger diameter so the bolt is a bit weaker, but it also has a lower chamber pressure to help reduce bolt thrust. I don't know of any trend of bolt breakage in the 6.5 either.

LWRC and Magpul made a larger magwell lower and mag for the 6.8 but I don't think it really went anywhere.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I completely forgot about LWRC's SIX8. When I first read of a Magpul 6.8 magazine, I got excited.....then disappointed when I learned more.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Sulzer Firearms is also making a 6.8 receiver set for less than LWRC. I know nothing about that company’s track record, though.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Sulzer Firearms is also making a 6.8 receiver set for less than LWRC. I know nothing about that company’s track record, though.
    Mad Dog Weapons Systems is working with manufacturers to make a receiver set and metal magazine(s) that will allow for a cartridge OAL of 2.390"

It sounds like mags will be available for both 6.5 and 6.8 and should work for Wildcats based on these cartridges too.

The receiver sets will be based off the LWRC Six8 and will likely be similar to the Sulzer option.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Not all bolts are created equal. Both LMT and JP make 6.8 SPC bolts that are enhanced to increase their durability, compared to a standard 5.56 bolt with just a modified bolt face.

5.56 magazines aren't compatible with 6.8 and 6.5mm cartridges, even with different followers. There are multiple manufacturers of each type magazines.

There are no changes required for the lower receiver.
    The LWRC bolt is made from 9310 but still has the same mil spec lug geometry(width, length, height), very little gain in lug strength and only due to the use of 9310 alloy. The extractor has dual springs and is stronger than a mil spec extractor.
    LMTs bolt is near identical.
    JPs bolt lug design is the same as the LMT and LWRC. The only thing JP did different was copy my thicker area around the cam pin hole that I have been machining since 2009.
    The lug strength of my Superbolt is 11-13% stronger than any of the bolts above, my Titan bolts are closer to 18% stronger. My 750XD and 800 series bolts are closer to 24% stronger than the LMT, LWRC or JP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast