Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why won't Magpul make different colored Pmags?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Why won't Magpul make different colored Pmags?

Seems like they used to make more colors. There was an orange one, and I think there was an Olive Drab one as well. I have one colored Pmag; I think they called it Foliage Green. think all you can get now is black and desert flat dark earth.

Magpul could make the things in any color: Orange, Purple, you name it.

In addition to being "cool," it would serve a purpose. You could load different loads into different colors.

Why not? Anybody know?
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 02-10-19 at 21:44.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

They are in the business of making money, thats why.

If you need different colors, buy some Krylon or Aervoe spray paint

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I wish all firearms and tactical stuff was available in at least FDE and olive drab. Throw in desert tan and urban gray and you cover practically all environments with just four colors. Not sure why black ever became the tactical default since it is not very good for most environments. A dark grey would be more universal. Almost like 70 yr old Parkerizing...
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most likely, they cut down on their color options due to more black and FDE PMAGs being used more than any other color. They used to offer OD Green, Foliage, and even UDE (Urban Dark Earth) for LaRue Tactical. At one time, they even offered Sand that could be dyed. The MAGPUL Ranger Plates are offered in a few different colors. You could use these to designate magazines with different ammo and/or different loads.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    This is probably the most common question Magpul receives. The simple answer is that adding colorant to plastics can weaken the material properties. In a part such as the MIAD Grip, or the CTR Stock where the part is already over-engineered and 2-10x stronger than it needs to be, that's not a problem - make whatever color you want. In a PMAG, however, where the strength properties of the polymer are more sensitive, adding colorant can be problematic. It's not quite that simple, as each individual color and % of colorant behaves differently than the next, as does each generation/iteration of polymer that Magpul develops, but you get the idea. This is literally at the molecular level of the polymer/colorant compound, certainly well above my level of understanding, but I can tell you for certain that Magpul is not simply ignoring the market when you ask for colors - there is a reason.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Interesting. Conor affects strength or longevity.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’ve bought some Coyote Brown Gen 3 Magpuls from my LGS. They’re nice!
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    I once worked in a plastic factory that made the plastics used in multiple industries for vacuum forming products. We charged considerably higher prices for certain colors just due to the fact that they had a higher scrap rate when the material was coming off the extruder. Something about the color added to the material, caused it to be less forgiving to minor changes in zone heat and such stuff. I don’t know the actual mechanics behind it, but I do know that certain colors were more difficult to produce the material to spec and the flaws weren’t always easily detected in the unformed raw product.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Ever buy PVC fencing? Brown costs twice as much as white or almond for exactly the reasons dperdue mentioned.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast