Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what do you advise for new owners?

Feedback Score

So what do you advise for new owners?

Since the big panic a few years back,
    A lot of people have been getting into ARs,
    (and a pistol) that never had one before.

The trained shooter thread made me think -

I have been recommending
    The standard Colt AR (even though I kind of don’t like the company)
    A dozen Okay mags or Pmags
    Surefire Light, vtac or vcas sling, Aimpoint pro

1000 rounds ammo

Weekend class

Of course four out of five times they end up with a different brand rifle, some funky ass triple point sling, a 40$ red dot, and a Chinese light. (And these are people that can afford the recommendation for one or two days work)

For a pistol I say G19, light, 1000 rounds, dozen mags, weekend class.
    If they have any issues with “no safety” I say
    Beretta M9a1, Vertec, or 92a1 instead (the world will never run out of Glock or Beretta mags, they shoot slight, etc.)
    If they have concerns with forgetting to work the safety but want a safety, I just say XDM because of the grip safety)
    I did not like the first gen M&Ps with safety, I have not tried the new gen.

For shotguns, which they invariably must have, I just say Mossberg 500.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I try my best not to advise new owners anymore. Like you said, they're gonna just ignore advise anyway, so it's a waste of my time.

As long as they keep their new HiPoint pointed down range while I'm on the line, Imma just keep my mouth shut, do my thing, and they can let Jesus take the wheel.

Feedback Score
    I’ve stopped giving blanket purchasing advice to acquaintances; it’s a waste of my time. They’re going to make their own (generally stupid) purchasing decisions regardless of my input.

That said, the guy who says, “Hey, I want to buy a BCM (insert any quality brand here). What do you think?” has my full attention and will get a thoughtful response. That guy is rare, though.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Yup. That's pretty much what I suggest from the get-go.

Feedback Score
    It doesnt matter because 99% dont shoot.

I suggest colt/bcm/DD/lmt/kac.
    Pistol: hk/glock/m&p gen2/sig

All these have a track record of being more than reliable and accurate enough for general purpose/hd/sd. They will likely last the rest of the persons life and wont hold them back- it doesnt really matter which one they pick.

If someone is going to shoot 5-10k rds a year, they can learn on it and replace it with a good knowledge of what they learned on their own.

Feedback Score
    I tell them to get a Colt AR and a Colt 1911. Both will have parts available stateside for the rest of their life. A lot of the import pistols seem to go out of production when they introduce new models while no longer supporting older models. Keep things simple.

Feedback Score
    I don’t recommend single or double stack 1911s to noobs.

If they are the kind of person that will reap with a 1911, they are probably beyond seeking new guy advice. Sort of like I don’t recommend a car with a manual transmission to anyone, but when someone that likes their auto mustang, Camaro, or Challenger then asks about trying a manual thing.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post

If they are the kind of person that will reap with a 1911, they are probably beyond seeking new guy advice. Sort of like I don’t recommend a car with a manual transmission to anyone, but when someone that likes their auto mustang, Camaro, or Challenger then asks about trying a manual thing.
    Agreed. I don't feel that a 1911 is a wise choice for a new gun owner, given the alternatives available. I generally recommend a Glock 19 or 17 and if they don't want a Glock for some reason then a S&W M&P 9MM gen2, HK VP9, or even a Walther PPQ 9MM.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I find it difficult to recommend anything to anyone just now getting into the market. They are not knowledgeable or experienced enough to know what is what and why I would recommend certain weapons. Now, unless I have someone who comes to me directly and ask my opinion or wants to get my recommendations, I will have a lengthy conversation with them to assess their firearm experience and their wants/needs before I give them any opinions or recommendations. Generally, when people come to me directly, they already know of my experience with various types of firearms over the years.

I will add that I see too many guys on another popular AR forum that ask what they should buy or build. I DO NOT bother with those guys as they usually have done nothing as far as research is concerned. Threads like that often have every Tom, Dick, and Harry recommending one thing or another without having a clue as to what the OP really wants or where their experience lies with the AR platform.

All this said, there are a couple essential things a person should have for defensive/SHTF purposes. They should have a dependable AR carbine of some sort along with a few thousand rounds of good quality 5.56 NATO ammo and several 30-round magazines (at least 5 per AR). It should also have a good weaponlight, sling (I prefer the Vickers Blue Force 2-pt.), BUISs, and a good quality optic. A 9mm sidearm is my preference (Beretta 92FS) along with several magazines (at least 5), a couple thousand rounds of good quality ammo, and a good quality holster (I prefer the Blackhawk SERPA leg holster). They should also consider a good quality plate carrier (with plates), pouches for additionally AR and pistol magazines, and an IFAK. A Hydration pack is also another good piece of kit.

Training is an essential part and cannot be left out. A person's loadout is only as good as the person carrying it and if they are not trained on how to use it, then they, and their gear, are useless.

Remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make them drink. No matter what recommendations you give someone, if they do not heed the advice, they will do as they want. If they really and truly care about what is recommended, they will follow up and make wise decisions based on what sound advice was given to them.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 04-04-19 at 14:44.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post

So you'd recommend an AR for a noob which requires a high level of maintenance understanding, along with being able to diagnose an array of malfunction issues as not being overly complicated- yet somehow a 1911 is? The 1911 and AR are about equal in their required overall level of care to keep them running well. If you're just going for simple, tell them to get an AK and a Glock.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast