Thread: First build Introduction - Rifle, pistol, carbine builds

Feedback Score

First build Introduction - Rifle, pistol, carbine builds

Hi there, just introducing myself and my builds. New to the platform and guns in general, but I'm a tinker and have the time, space, and funds to finally get into recreational shooting. A good friend of mine pushed me to get a few AR lowers and then it all kind of snowballed after all that. Spent many days reading through many many hundreds of posts, blogs, links, comments on almost all of the components and really got a much more rounded knowledge base to start to understand all the mechanics. Anyway, on with the build and pics!

Goal of the build was to get a trio of guns built on the AR platform as a point of entry to get into shooting as a hobby. As the guns were purchased as a group, they have sequential serials so I built them as a "matching set."
    Personally I like the aesthetics of a Stainless barrel, and they are a little more durable, and because they were from a volume manufacturer, I was able to snag them at a good price, for a nominal expense over standard steel.
    I also wanted simple round handguards. I didn’t want to get led astray and start putting "accessories" on all those rails or slots. While certain accessories definitely have their place, I really haven't gotten the experience yet to go right out to load up the rails with kit. So just took that out of the equation.
    As a whole, I wanted to keep it pretty simple, cross compatible, and utilitarian. As I started with Anderson Lowers, I did research and found they make perfectly acceptable components. So while I could have been a little more persnickety, I found myself going down rabbit holes from various makes and manufacturers for subtle differences in performance and cost and such. But they strayed from having a baseline of performance that I really wanted to understand before I went about changing stuff. I also didn’t want to build a franken gun based solely on price, so I stuck to Anderson.
    As for the colored bits, well I like color. They don’t change the functionality, and hopefully a little less "OMG scary" tactical military aesthetic (my family is not a gun family, nor is my circle of friends really, so trying to showcase the gun as a platform vs a thing of war). For a while I was a little lukewarm on the platform, not knowing how really "Lego" like this platform is, and really something that you can make your own. I think that’s really what got it all to click for me. "This is my take on my modern muskets." I figured my stable will be with me for a long time to come, and get many upgrades over time, but gotta start somewhere! Overall I think I'm in this about $2000 including some of the assembly tools.

#40 - Carbine
    The carbine I plan as my Go-to gun from self-defense while in the backcountry, shooting at the range, or whatever. It should be versatile and practical. I would also like to add to this gun things such as a law tactical folding stock, and possibly go with a shorter barrel and a silencer.
    Anderson standard AM-15 Upper
    Anderson 16" .223 Wylde SS 1:8 barrel
    Anderson Steel Gas block and SS gas tube
    Anderson Lower and Trigger group
    Anderson logo phosphate coated BCG
    "Custom" Bits
    12" DPMS Free Float handguard
    Titanium buffer retaining pin
    Stainless Carbine spring
    Colored Anodized bits - Purple
    Magpul MOE SL stock
    Magpul MOE+ grip
    Bushnell TRS Red Dot

#41 - Rifle
    The rifle I wanted to learn mid-long range shooting with. I had intended to go with a .224 build, but after looking into things, I didn’t want to have added ammo costs, and getting more specialized, and frankly, its way more capable a round than I am, so dialed things back and kept with the .223. When I can demonstrate accurate shooting many yards out, then will consider the .224. Also need a better scope. Way better.
    Anderson Sport Upper
    Anderson 18" .223 Wylde SS 1:8 barrel
    Anderson logo phosphate coated BCG
    "Custom" Bits
    12" Colt Free Float handguard
    Stainless Carbine spring
    Colored Anodized bits - Blue
    Bushnell TRS Red Dot

#42 - Pistol
    The pistol should just be a fun pinker. Right now it has the CMMG .22LR conversion kit installed. Which is not the most accurate way to go about shooting, but the ammo is much cheaper, so it will be a fun plinker. And just need to grab a new bolt, or swap from one of my others to shoot .22LR, .223 or 5.56.
    Anderson Sport Upper
    Anderson 7.5" .223 Wylde SS 1:7 barrel
    "Custom" Bits
    7" DPMS Free Float handguard
    Stainless Carbine spring
    Colored Anodized bits - Green
    Bushnell TRS Red Dot
    CMMG .22LR Bolt and conversion kit

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Neat looking builds. Congrats on your entry into the world of assembling your own ARs, it can be very rewarding.

Feedback Score
    Thank you! It's been an enjoyable start for sure.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk