Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new 870 Vs. Old 870

Feedback Score

new 870 Vs. Old 870

Would it be smarter to buy an old style 870 with the tougher internals or just get a new one?
    Where is a good spot on the net to get 870's, specifically the Police Model?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Fringe; 11-06-08 at 11:36.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Either way you will be fine. Even the Express models, in my opinion, are a better option than anything else.

If I had me preference, I would look for a well used Police or Wingmaster, comb through it for any issues, and run it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I just picked up 4 NC SBI Remington 870 Police Magnums that are in great shape, obviously the SBI doesn't use their shotguns much. I am raffling 2 of them off for the FOP fund , and selling one and keeping one. Let me know if your interested.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's not so much new vs. old 870, but Express vs. Wingmaster and Police models.

The Express models have cheaper internals, but still pretty durable. They also have a plastic trigger guard (not bad in of itself), dimples in the mag tube (you need to modify these to mount an extended mag tube, unless you buy the Express HD model that has the extended mag tube already), and a matte blue finish that kinda sucks.

The Wingmaster models have the better internals and fancy polishing, but are similar to the police models in the realm of quality. Polished blue finish, nice wood stocks

The Police models are made in a special section of the Remington factory, and are made to a stricter standard than the Express models. QC is better. Internals better, proper mag tube (no dimples), and has a parkerized finished. Wood stocks or synthetic stocks available.

I think that the Police models are the best buy of the bunch for defense purposes. You can probably find one for not that much more than an Express model (particuarly when you are talking about the Express Home Defense models vs. the Police models

The "Tactical" series (discontinued, were finished in dark green) and Marine Magnums are gussied up Express models.

Can't help you on where to buy. Can tell you that I'm pretty satisfied with my Express model, but if you can snag a lightly used or new Police model for a good price...get it instead)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are some differences between the older guns and the newer ones, even within the Wingmaster/Police lines. For example, I have an older Wingmaster and the trigger guard is made of what appears to be machined aluminum. I also have a newer Police model and the trigger guard is made of powdered metal. It's still "metal" but I'd much rather have the older aluminum piece if I had the choice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    There are some differences between the older guns and the newer ones, even within the Wingmaster/Police lines. For example, I have an older Wingmaster and the trigger guard is made of what appears to be machined aluminum. I also have a newer Police model and the trigger guard is made of powdered metal. It's still "metal" but I'd much rather have the older aluminum piece if I had the choice.
    Gawd I hate MIM parts...didn't know about that change...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger29 View Post
    Gawd I hate MIM parts...didn't know about that change...
    I don't believe the newer metal trigger guards are MIM. I recall reading that they are made from "compressed metal," which I take to mean some sort of powdered metal process.

It "smells" like a cheaper method, but I don't have enough knowledge of the process they use to say for sure whether the part is less durable than the old ones. Some powdered metal parts processes actually yield parts with some advantages for their application and can be quite strong.

Feedback Score
    I've heard that all newer Police models are coming with the plastic trigger guards. Don't know if that's accurate or not but it would make sense if Remington was trying to cut costs/standardize.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Huh....

Well...we've seen that plastic ain't all bad. The trigger guard on my 870 Express seems to be pretty darn tough...

Feedback Score
    In theory, the older units are built better. No doubt. But in practice, how many plastic trigger guarded, mim'd internal 870's are sold, vs issues you've read about. I've never owned either, but I've always kept my eye out for an 870police.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast