Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Recommendations for a DMR/SPR 5.56 rifle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCOAR View Post
    Yeah it was a great thread. Wasn't his conclusion that the Recce was better than the SPR?
    Pretty much. And really a recce is an SPR and you can get by at 500 yds super easy with a 16 if not 14.5 barrel.

I had a screenshot a while back saved where he said pretty much it was known just as a "sniper M4" and that 500 yds is your sweet spot with anything 5.56.

He even did a video on it....lemme see...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Cool video thanks. I do remember the Sniper-M4 comment as well. Around the same period as that I was heavily into the SPR concept...(both the recce and SPR rifles), and tested them head to head on a few occasions keeping variables as constant as possible.

The Recce won out for me after these experiences, and ultimately the .308 Recce concept was crowned supreme when I took it to it's ultimate conclusion personally speaking.

Last edited by ALCOAR; 02-13-19 at 22:22.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Really recce vs spr is tomayto tomahto to me.

My big idea is a middy RAS FF with a 16” stainless and a SOPMOD stock and a 3-9x scope. Maybe a 1-8x.

It would do pretty much everything I would want in 556

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A 14.5” does hit at 500 pretty easily with a little bit of magnification. Longer barrels offer a little more forgiveness of range estimation errors. Its all a trade-off. I feel that 16” is the sweet spot for a DMR-type rifle. But 14.5 isn’t bad, and my current “recce” rifle in my safe is a 14.5” stainless with LPVO. 500m is as far as I shoot with any regularity, and if I’m dropping E-Types, I’m happy.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    16 inch is a great sweet spot. Even just running a 1-4 it’s a versatile rifle. My 20 inch was built for the gas gun series and local matches. A range I belong to hoes out to 1250 yards. I’m gonna see how far out I can stretch it consistently in a couple weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like 16” because you don’t need to pin or weld. Really, the difference is negligible as they both give you two solid revolutions with a 1/7 barrel.
    A 1/8 would dictate a 16” for same.

I even have a spicier opinion; I don’t even think that a carbine gas would hamper you. I like mid and rifle (omg a rifle length is the pepsi challenge winner) but really a carbine gas isn’t like a 308 or anything and I mess with my SR25 carbines.

I just think they “hide” better under a mid or rifle length tube.

Wouldn’t say it is my total first choice but nothing I would dismiss.

Also load up on 20rders. I almost exclusively get those now. Especially if all you really wanna do is bench or prone shoot.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    I wonder if there's a way those older SME threads could be archived and still be accessible? There was a wealth of knowledge from all of them.
    As I recall this was discussed in the past and the final answer was that those threads are gone for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I like 16” because you don’t need to pin or weld. Really, the difference is negligible as they both give you two solid revolutions with a 1/7 barrel.
    A 1/8 would dictate a 16” for same.

I even have a spicier opinion; I don’t even think that a carbine gas would hamper you. I like mid and rifle (omg a rifle length is the pepsi challenge winner) but really a carbine gas isn’t like a 308 or anything and I mess with my SR25 carbines.

I just think they “hide” better under a mid or rifle length tube.

Wouldn’t say it is my total first choice but nothing I would dismiss.

Also load up on 20rders. I almost exclusively get those now. Especially if all you really wanna do is bench or prone shoot.
    I agree with the 16" barrel. I don't want a pinned/welded muzzle device because it limits how I can change the rifle. I don't feel like the little bit of length you save is worth the trade. I also agree with your comment about a carbine gas system. With proper gas port sizing it doesn't matter as much what your gas system length is.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234