Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Taking the next step past 308- first 6.5 creedmore semi auto

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    /sub'd for updates.

I'm slapping together a budget PSA PS10 in 6.5CR. I've seen some impressive targets using Hornady 140gr ELD & I'm hoping to give it a try at Atterbury military base out to 1200 yards sometime this summer. I wasn't sure if my M1A would be the best choice at that distance.

I haven't figured out what magnification scope I'll put on the gun to shoot those distances. I've never seen the targets out that far yet.
    Back in the day, guys made hits with 10X at 1,000, but we are spoiled now. 3-15 would get you there or you could step up to 5-20/25 range. No more than that for sure.

Now that I think about me and Mark started with our first 308 Rem 700's with 10X scopes and went to a 1,000 weekly. Mark was rocking a Super Sniper and I killed it with a Bushy, both fixed 10's.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-02-19 at 15:58.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    So I ended up making the decision to order a SOLGW 18in 6.5 creedmore upper to go with my 308 I have from them. I went this direction because they guarantee their barrels are sub .5 minute and will replace the barrel if I shoot it out; which was a large consideration when talking about 6.5 creedmore.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Does four months constitute a necro thread?

Subscribed for any updates. I have an Aero M5 receiver set I haven’t done anything with yet and I’m mulling around 6.5 Creedmoor. I’ve built AR15’s before but this is my first AR10. I plan on going with an adjustable gas block and will be running it unsuppressed. I want to go with a rifle-gas 20” barrel but I’m not sure if I need the +2” gas length or not.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles11B View Post
    Does four months constitute a necro thread?

Subscribed for any updates. I have an Aero M5 receiver set I haven’t done anything with yet and I’m mulling around 6.5 Creedmoor. I’ve built AR15’s before but this is my first AR10. I plan on going with an adjustable gas block and will be running it unsuppressed. I want to go with a rifle-gas 20” barrel but I’m not sure if I need the +2” gas length or not.
    The +2 is nothing but positives. Get the rifle length barrel for sure if you want to shoot LR.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’ve been eyeing Rainier Arms’ 22” Ultramatch barrel with the +2 gas length, grabbed one when it went on sale. I’ve heard good things about them. Also snagged a Toolcraft BCG with double extractor and high-pressure bolt and firing pin on Black Friday, now I just need to grab an adjustable gas block and little stuff to complete it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    So I ended up making the decision to order a SOLGW 18in 6.5 creedmore upper to go with my 308 I have from them. I went this direction because they guarantee their barrels are sub .5 minute and will replace the barrel if I shoot it out; which was a large consideration when talking about 6.5 creedmore.
    This is exactly what I have been considering.
    Can I ask how that 6.5 shoots.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Jack—if you see this, did that article ever get published?

Also, I have an Aero receiver set .308 build that shoots 1MOA (+/- 0.10) and I would like a little better than that. It uses a RA Ultramatch. I have been thinking of putting a 6.5CM upper on and see how that does.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Surprised to not see anything regarding Wilson Super Sniper AR-10s. I purchased a6.5 from Wilson several months back. 22 inch barrel. Sub MOA gun. Also commissioned Northwest Rifle Actions to build me a bolt gun. manner carbon fiber, Atlas Action, Kreiger #9 24 long, Schmidt and Bender PMII with the H59 reticle. Also sub MOA.

My recent ar-10 is another Wilson Super Sniper 20 barrel, also a Schmidt &Bender PMII, with the h59 reticle. Another sub MOA gun. Why no love here for the Wilsons.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What kind of sub-MOA 5 round groups are you able to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    Surprised to not see anything regarding Wilson Super Sniper AR-10s. I purchased a6.5 from Wilson several months back. 22 inch barrel. Sub MOA gun. Also commissioned Northwest Rifle Actions to build me a bolt gun. manner carbon fiber, Atlas Action, Kreiger #9 24 long, Schmidt and Bender PMII with the H59 reticle. Also sub MOA.

My recent ar-10 is another Wilson Super Sniper 20 barrel, also a Schmidt &Bender PMII, with the h59 reticle. Another sub MOA gun. Why no love here for the Wilsons.

Dirk
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What kind? Chief, trying to figure out what I'm missing, been " sniper shooting since 84" . Still own every rifle I commissioned built. These Wilson's are my first long gun in a semi auto platform. Many years ago I was issued an SR-25, I simply could not make it work for me, went back to my bolt guns, a gussied up Remington, built by BuzzTail. Rich Gulsby, who later went to work for a barrel makerPacNor, in Brooking Oregon.

Soured on the notion of me, and semi auto precision shooting. I received a huge back pay from VA, six months ago. Huge money, unexpected, and started shopping/reviewing my alternatives, in a SA packages. Shot a friend's Wilson SS, 140 rounds, and it just fit me. I'd been anti 6.5 forever, thought it was time to give one a go, an objective testing. I'm please.

The Wilson 6.5 as stated is a 22 inch barrel, I'm shooting 140 ELD, rounds, intend to build the new 147 g when I start 6.5 loading. I've stock piled a few thousand ELD cases.
    Chief I own 338lms, 300wms, 308s, 6.5s, and a 243, all custom built. Several years ago my shoot partners built 6.5s, I refused and built the 243. Tack driver, but only with the DTAC115 bullets.

So anyway I'm lost on when you ask " what kind of sub MOA".

Chief, I'm not doing anything special, after learning the trigger, these sub MOA, counts are simple, nothing magic about em.

That's what these rifles are capable of. I've been around lomg range 30 plus years, anything sub MOA, is all I require. So the 1/2 MOA, is a bonus, but not required out of the rifle by me.

I've left these rifle box stock, for the first year. I want to know them like all my bolt guns. Think part of this is, I've been shooting SB PMII for 20 years. The h59 reticle is different, but I'm enjoying the benefit of the Christmas tree. I do also shoot the high end Vortex gen II, with the MRAD, reticle. And some of my S&B scopes are early MOA.

We have a ranch with thirty AR 500 mil sized targets out to 1800ish. Elevations 4200, lots of canyons and hills, good shooting turf. We're in southern Oregon, roughly 100miles from Thunder Ranch.

I refer to you as Chief, as I too was a sailor from 75 to 83, its a respect thing, after all, Chiefs really do run the navy!

Hope I've answered you questions. I had three discs in my neck, removed and replaced,,,,two and 1/2 weeks ago. Plus a six screw plate bolted to my spine in the throat area. All Law Enforcement related injuries.

My biggest fear is that I won't be able to handle my 338lm or my 300wm recoil. That's gonna suck.

Respectfully.

Dirk Williams

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast