Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the next step past 308- first 6.5 creedmore semi auto

Feedback Score
    My 6.5 Creedmoor is a build on Aero receivers. It's easily my favorite rifle. I've got a lot of rounds through it since I've had mine for several years now. Barrel is a Rainier Ultramatch and has done very well. Standard nitride 308 bolt, with SLR adjustable gas block. On my outing today, the average was .5 MOA. Velocities have been very consistent (right around 2600-2650). I load with a charge right about in the middle of the table. That's where a good node worked out to be and I didn't see any gain going to max charge. At that charge, the brass isn't beat. On my current lot, they are up to loading #6. Hornady brass, CCI 200, H4350 and 147 ELD Match projectiles have worked well. Dope for that at sea level shows staying supersonic up to 1300-1400.

Suppressed it shoots really well (as mentioned above about today).

Comparing another Creedmoor, I have a 6mm almost the same build. The 6mm Creedmoor shows a lot promise too, but it seems to be a lot harder on the brass. Primer pockets go quick. It's a great cartridge in a large platform AR and suppressed. It does take more tuning though.
    illegitimis non carborundum

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What is the expected round count - barrel life of the 6.5 in a gas gun? I have an LMT and load up 20 round mags and just rock on, every week. I know I have over a 600 rounds because I have been through two cans of 200rd ct Am Gunner and much S&B plus Hornady match!

Good thing its a quick change barrel

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I'm going to be doing an article shortly on 6.5/7.62 in contemporary use with current optics and enablers.
    I need to gather a little more info and data before I'll be ready to publish, as a significant aspect is terminal effect, and that information is slower to build than just about everything else.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I'm going to be doing an article shortly on 6.5/7.62 in contemporary use with current optics and enablers.
    I need to gather a little more info and data before I'll be ready to publish, as a significant aspect is terminal effect, and that information is slower to build than just about everything else.
    That should be a solid read. Please include a Pappa on that alert.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    JP and GAP are great choices if you have the budget

A good mid tier option would be the Seekins. No personal experience, but a lot of good feedback on the Hide

Laure Ultimate Upper kit is offered in 6.5 for $1192 with free assembly currently. Just add a lower. They dont have a 16'' barrel option but do have 18''
    This. JP and GAP are probably the most proven options.

As for myself I did a franken-gun build on DPMS receiver set and a custom McGowen barrel that runs great and gets to 1000+ yards with no issues. It is long and heavy though.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Where will you be publishing this article? I'm looking forward to reading it.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger585 View Post
    Where will you be publishing this article? I'm looking forward to reading it.
    Online/forum will be the most likely distribution method.
    I'm doing it for love of the community more than anything else.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Can’t wait to read it. Thanks
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    What is the expected round count - barrel life of the 6.5 in a gas gun? I have an LMT and load up 20 round mags and just rock on, every week. I know I have over a 600 rounds because I have been through two cans of 200rd ct Am Gunner and much S&B plus Hornady match!

Good thing its a quick change barrel

PB
    I've heard 2500ish for the caliber, but have no way to verify that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’ll be eagerly awaiting that article

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast