So I am looking for a new watch and activity tracker and had my heart set on a Garmin Fenix 5X Plus however I have seen some pretty negative reviews and comments on their forum page with regard to tracking and such. This has been way to hard and taken too long for me to select and buy as compared to any weapon or gear selection. Unfortunately, in today retail market place going to a store to find a subject matter expert in something like this doesn't appear to exist. Oh the good old days of a retailer who actually stocked product and new what they were selling. Yup I am older and old school to go along with the age.

I know we have a pretty strong group here with a lot of watch knowledge as well as a fitness community that I hope can help.

So here is what I guess I am looking for in no particular order:

GPS tracking with maps
All the measurable bits that a fitness tracker would have with heart rate
Some smart phone ability like notifications, does not have to have every thing on it a phone does.
Traditional chronograph/watch look or style like the Garmin or Suunto
Be a plus if it had weather and the ability to run a ballistic app

That's about it and I am sure I will learn a little more from this post. I dont believe that I am looking for an Apple watch. Guess I question the durability and I do not have an apple phone nor do I really want to go down that path. Probably would if that is truly the best option.

Thoughts please on those with experience on owning the Garmin and or use with others.