Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing flash hider that’s pinned and welded

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Replacing flash hider that’s pinned and welded

Hey all,
    Today I ordered my first suppressor I went with a Surefire 762 Socom Mini 2. I plan to use it for both my SAI SOCOM 16 when I change the flash hider and for my AR15s. My question is my BCM is a 14.5” upper with a pinned and welded A2 flash hider so it doesn’t qualify as an SBR. I want to mainly use that rifle with the suppressor but I’d have to swap out the flash hider with a Surefire. Can I have the old flash hider removed and get a Surefire pinned and welded on?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    You can, most decent gunsmiths will do it. Or send to Retro Arms Works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    There are YouTube videos showing DIY removal of pinned muzzle device. So it can be done with rotary tools and wrenches. But there is risk of damage to barrel thread.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've removed a few the hard way by splitting the muzzle device with a dremel. Without knowing how deep the pin/weld is, I've just sacrificed the device. It's slow process.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've removed a couple of BCM A2Xs.

I took a big pipeliner file and filed off the weld, then took a little hammer and tapped on the flash hider right next to the pin to get the pin to walk out a little bit. Grabbed it with pliers and pulled it out.

Flash hider and pin were reusable.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I've removed a couple of BCM A2Xs.

I took a big pipeliner file and filed off the weld, then took a little hammer and tapped on the flash hider right next to the pin to get the pin to walk out a little bit. Grabbed it with pliers and pulled it out.

Flash hider and pin were reusable.
    That's some good info, thanks.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Or send to Retro Arms Works.
    This.

John Thomas does great work. He had my barrel for a whole three hours (arrived at 10 a.m. and I received a shipping notification at 1 p.m. the same day).

I'm not sure I could have ordered a new barrel and had it overnighted in as quick a time as he had my barrel back to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Unless you don't mind potentially sacrificing the barrel I'd send it to a pro. There are a few ways to screw it up. But, if you've done that type of work before go for it.

BTW Congrats on getting the suppressor
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 01-25-19 at 03:49.

Feedback Score
    Just make sure you have confidence in the armorer doing the work and get in writing what they will do if they mess up the barrel.

Worst case scenario is you buy a new barrel get the correct surefire pinned and either sell or keep the original as a spare.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If in doubt, sent it out.
    That said don't just take it to someone a "Gunsmith" shingle, know who you are sending it to. You'll want to include your barrel nut and gas block if planning to change any of that out, this would be the time to do it.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast