Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which steel cased Ammo for training/plinking??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Which steel cased Ammo for training/plinking??

Hey Guys,

I am considering placing an order through lucky gunner for around 2-3k rounds of 223. I wont be using this ammo for home defeense or any serious use, I just want the cheapest stuff to run through my guns for training or plinking. Because of a back injury I dont pick up my casings ever, so "pick up your brass and reload" is kinda out of the question.

The main brands being considered are:

Tula
    Red Army standard
    Wolf WPA

A guy on instgram said he has ran 25K of the 75gr tula doing ariel hog hunts and claims its great for the task.

Let me know if you have good or bad experiences with any of the mentioned brands.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Honestly, I don't really find much difference between those three brands. They're equally unexceptional...Goes bang and such. Buy whatever is cheapest and keep your chamber clean.
    And multiply whatever you see on Instagram by 10%...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run Tula in my dedicated steel case plinking rifle. Wolf won’t lock the bolt back on an empty mag, and has issues with hshort stroking. Tula seems to be a little hotter and more consistent. This is 55gr.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    IMO wolf gold is so cheap and is such great ammo that it has not made sense to me to go to steel.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    IMO wolf gold is so cheap and is such great ammo that it has not made sense to me to go to steel.
    Agreed. I have some steel that I bought post sandy hook, but regardless of what anyone says, I won’t run it through my good rifles. Which means that it only works for the beaters, and having ammo that I won’t shoot through half of my guns doesn’t make sense when brass is only like $60 more per case. If it’s for a beater gun, I’d go with whatever is cheapest since that is the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I would try a little of each before buying a case to be sure it will run to your satisfaction. Wolf gold is hard to beat & the accuracy should be better.
    Last edited by Pi3; 02-12-19 at 21:27.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    I bought 2000 rounds of steel case wolf at $89 a 1000 probably around 15 years ago it is good for about 3moa or so out of most guns. I still have 1200 or so rounds of it laying around. I just don't find inaccuracy all that interesting so it doesn't get used. It would be fine for spray and pray or close range tactical uses, maybe three gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does Wolf Gold use bullets with bimetal jackets?

Feedback Score
    I believe Wolf Gold is made in Taiwan & uses a lead core & copper jacket.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I bought some Tula 55 gr from Bass Pro, pulled the bullets, chamfered the cases and put those 62 gr Hornady HPBT bullets in the cases. That made for a nice stout round for shooting off the mountain where I could not get my empties back. ("Mexican Match" sorta deal)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast