Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which steel cased Ammo for training/plinking??

Feedback Score
    What kind of accuracy did taht get you?
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
    I believe Wolf Gold is made in Taiwan & uses a lead core & copper jacket.
    Correct. Wolf GOLD is just rebranded Taiwanese ammo. They used to use PPU for Wolf Gold and some of their calibers still may be but 223 is Taiwanese

Wolf steel case tends to be downloaded. I remember a friend of mine chrono'd their 5.45 and all came in at 7.62x39 fps.
    Last edited by Arik; 02-13-19 at 11:31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've used truck loads of Wolf steel case ammunition. The muzzle velocities are a little low and it shoots dirty. Wolf Gold 55g appears to be hotter ammunition, but I haven't chronographed it yet.

Chronograph Results Through 16" Carbine:

Wolf 55g FMJ Steel Case - 2713 fps

Wolf 62g FMJ Steel Case - 2811 fps

PMC 55g FMJ Brass Case - 2673 fps

Q3131A 55g FMJ Brass Case - 2964 fps

Sellier & Bellot 55g FMJ Brass Case - 3041 fps

Malaysian M193 55g FMJ Brass Case - 3065 fps

When I need to restock, I am going to purchase more Wolf Gold 55g. It shoots cleaner than the steel case ammunition and well enough to consistently ding 1/2 silhouette size steel at 300 yards. If I were on a tight budget, I would purchase Wolf WPA 55g.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I sold my steel case .223. (Well, the vast majority of it)

It's just not worth the savings IMO. Stuck casings, popped-out primers, duds, weak loads, rusting casings, and possibly extra barrel wear.

I'll shoot Russian steel case in Russian guns and Glocks. That's about it.

Prices are bottomed out. The suggested Wolf Gold brass (Taiwanese as stated) is a good value. Better to have 750 rds good ammo than 1000 rds that is all junk. (Or 7500 vs 10000 etc)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I sold my steel case .223. (Well, the vast majority of it)

It's just not worth the savings IMO. Stuck casings, popped-out primers, duds, weak loads, rusting casings, and possibly extra barrel wear.

I'll shoot Russian steel case in Russian guns and Glocks. That's about it.

Prices are bottomed out. The suggested Wolf Gold brass (Taiwanese as stated) is a good value. Better to have 750 rds good ammo than 1000 rds that is all junk. (Or 7500 vs 10000 etc)
    I've rarely experienced or seen those issues with Wolf steel case ammunition. I've heard about, but have rarely seen it. When I was going through a lot of Wolf 55g steel case, I was firing at least 6,000 to 8,000 rounds per year and other people I shoot with were going through more than that.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    What kind of accuracy did taht get you?
    I was running an ACOG, and only chrono'd them. Didn't have a 223 with good glass. But historically, subbing good bullets in Tula/Herters has been successful. Everything about that ammo is good, except the bullets. I have 20 more. I might shoot them for accuracy if Pappabear brings out the 5R rem 700 this weekend.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Which steel cased Ammo for training/plinking??

Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I've rarely experienced or seen those issues with Wolf steel case ammunition. I've heard about, but have rarely seen it.
    Ditto. I’ve “heard” all sorts of nightmares, but every gun I’ve seen that wasn’t specifically set up for something else ran it just fine. I will say that there are certain magazines that have may not perform well with steel that might be flawless with brass(Surefire is the one I’m talking about,) but that’s to be expected once you’re that far off the beaten path of USGI/NHMTG/Colt/PMAGs.

I have shot a lot of Hornady Steel Match in my day which proved to be pretty reliably 1 MOA-ish in my old competition rifle. Not handload good, and I’m sure there are boutique loads that outperform it, but I think it lends credence to the idea that perfectly forming cases and so forth is not the biggest factor in accuracy. Bullet quality, runout/concentricity, consistent ignition, and depending on the bullet style the seating depth are far more important than the case or even a perfectly consistent powder charge(coming from a guy who owns and likes a chargemaster.)

Maybe an adjustable gas block gun might not run it on suppressed or normal, but in my experience they do well with it.

I shoot it in AK’s, Glocks, and before I was reloading I shot many thousands of Hornady Steel Match ammo through it with matches on the line and in training with the same rifle...which had a Wylde chamber. No issues whatsoever except a couple of malfunctions with a Surefire 60 round magazine. I have never gone to a class with it, because I could always find Prvi at a price that was acceptable to me, but I would not hesitate to do so.

Any premature wear concerns have nothing to do with the steel case(even if they did the only thing to replace early is the extractor...and a BCM rebuild kit is $30.) What has been shown to wear barrels out earlier is the bimetal jackets...but every single time it’s shown you could have saved so much money in ammo that you could have bought a new barrel and still be ahead of the game.

I can’t say if that math works out with some of the cheaper brass cased stuff that’s available in the absence of a panic, but it certainly was true at one point.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 02-13-19 at 14:39.

Feedback Score
    I've rarely experienced or seen those issues with Wolf steel case ammunition. I've heard about, but have rarely seen it. When I was going through a lot of Wolf 55g steel case, I was firing at least 6,000 to 8,000 rounds per year and other people I shoot with were going through more than that.

Dang. Ive had all of these problems. (Minus the wear)

I even had a round of Russian 9x18 get stuck in a hot Makarov after shooting a stage.
    (IPSC match...for fun)

After three people tried to eject it, we fired it. Ejected fine.

Wolf also gets stuck in my S&W stainless steel magazines when nothing else does.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-13-19 at 14:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Same experience as you but curious if it's such a problem why spend the money to shoot it in other guns such as Glocks and Russian guns?

Feedback Score
    There are many, many types and makes of barrels, many have chrome lined chambers and bores and others that are not plated.

Bottom line, a rough chamber can make any ammo hard to extract. So as stated in post #6 by Pi3 try the different brands before buying 2-3k rounds of "sticky" ammo.

P.S. Pi3 you must be almost as smart, good looking and modest as I am.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 02-13-19 at 18:51.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast