Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which steel cased Ammo for training/plinking??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    IMO wolf gold is so cheap and is such great ammo that it has not made sense to me to go to steel.
    This. I stopped buying steel case since Wolf Gold came out for just a nickel more a round. No worries about ‘Will this run?’ and ‘Is a bi-metal bullet gonna ruin my barrel?’ Gold is WAY more accurate & consistent.

But if ya gotta have steel, get the stuff made in Barnaul. Not sure if all Wolf comes from Barnaul these days.

Feedback Score
    Everyting but the good lookin part.

Last I bought was here, there may be a better deal somewhere. I don't reload anymore, but still pick up the cases for someone else. That partly offsets the savings of the steel. There's always someone happy to take the brass. Or you may start reloading in the future.

https://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_...o-1000rds.html
    Last edited by Pi3; 02-13-19 at 20:33.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The cost difference between Wolf WPA and Wolf Gold at the suppliers I use is 7 cents per round. Depending on how much you shoot in one year, 7 cents per round may make a small difference or significant difference in your yearly cost. For me annual cost savings of $350 to $420 makes me take notice.

I am concerned about consistent A Zone hits or good hits on various paper targets used for training. For shooting inside 75 meters, I shoot a lot of steel case ammunition. For shooting 100 meters and beyond, I shoot Wolf Gold and other brass case ammunition. If all you're concerned about is dinging steel or getting 9 Ring hits on a B-27 at 100 yards, Wolf steel case ammunition works fine.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-14-19 at 08:05.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I was running an ACOG, and only chrono'd them. Didn't have a 223 with good glass. But historically, subbing good bullets in Tula/Herters has been successful. Everything about that ammo is good, except the bullets. I have 20 more. I might shoot them for accuracy if Pappabear brings out the 5R rem 700 this weekend.
    Will do.

I have shoot a fair amount of craptastic ammo. It was 2-3 inch stuff and I show no respect to my nice rifles, they are force fed whatever. Ive dumped a full mag of Tula in 308 out of my MWS just to see if I could make it jam. no such luck Brown Bear trash was my goto years and years ago before Mark stockpiled 18 bazillion rounds in my garage. Our crap ammo these days is 62grain BTHP that shoots around MOA in everything and sub MOA from time to time.

I never had feeding issues with crap ammo. YMMV

PB

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Off topic a bit. What steel case 9mm do you recommend for glocks?
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    Off topic a bit. What steel case 9mm do you recommend for glocks?
    It's all the same

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I thought all Russian ammo came out of the same huge plant, I pictured a factory the size of Manhattan, and at the the end right before it went out the door onto a never ending train, it got put into boxes with different brands, but.... not the case. I've had very good experiences with Wolf-- not Camp Perry trophies, no-- but it has worked very well for me for those times when the dif between 1/2MOA and 3 MOA means nothing, and let's face it-- for many of us, much of what we do is just that. Would I rather be shooting BHA, Federal, Hornady, et al, all the time, sure. But if Wolf was all I had, all I could find, or all I could afford, I would party on with no concerns. The 62 grain load has always seemed weak but works, the 55 grain has been good for me. I would not shoot a steady diet of anything but primo American ammo in a primo target gun.

The other Russian brands, I avoid as I have had issues with them in 9 and .223. I'm sure most here have seen Andy Tuohy's comparo on luckygunner.com, which really showed by way of barrel erosion and accuracy loss that the Russian ammo is harder on barrels, some much more than others.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I shot the previously mentioned "Mexican Match" load yesterday out of the bolt gun. 62 gr horn hpbt over the pull down 55 gr Wolf components. 5 shot group was just over 2 inches. Not very impressive.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    That's a bit of labor for no better than 2" groups. It would be interesting to put the same bullest in some other cases for comparison.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    That's a bit of labor for no better than 2" groups. It would be interesting to put the same bullest in some other cases for comparison.
    It shoots much better in regular hand loads. The reason for this batch of ammo was so I could shoot at the top of a rocky mountain where my casings could not be retrieved.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast