Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Start with the Bolt.
    Add the O-ring
    Colt or Sprinco extractor spring is a good idea for any of your BCGs
    Use a different bolt
    PSA action springs are not a good choice

I don't think its the buffer. If you're tossing Wolf ammo at 4:00 and true 5.56 ammo at 1:00, this means the 5.56 ammo is hitting the brass deflector on your upper and the Wolf ammo is too weak to make it to the brass deflector.
    I’ll replace the extractor spring and add the oring and see how it runs tomorrow. I’ll use the spring from my BCM lower too since the PSA is crappy and might be causing this. If that doesn’t work I’ll swap out the current BCG for the other BCM one I’ve got.

Hopefully that’ll fix my issues and I’ll be able to enjoy my new pistol!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Could be over-gassed. I would swap the bolt/BCG and recoil spring first, but then look at things from that perspective.

I don't suppose you measured the gas port? I doubt it being you have a FSB, but...
    Last edited by MQ105; 02-12-19 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    I realize the BCG is new, but how long ago did you buy it? IIRC, about 6 months to a year ago there were reports of BCM running into a bad batch of extractor springs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by young_gun View Post
    Extractor spring is a five coil with the black insert but no o-ring and it’s from BCM (it’s got a brand new BCM BCG) I was under the impression that BCM’s were on par with the Colt ones.

What makes the Colt or Springco ones different or better?
    I honestly don't know. Colt designed the M4 extractor spring to solve the extraction issues that cropped up when the military started using the M4 extensively in full auto. In my own personal experience, I've seen quite a few extractor springs from other sources fail, usually between 500 and 1000 rounds. Since I replaced all the extractor springs in my ARs with Colt springs, a lot of problems went away.

I've never used the Sprinco spring, but I.G. has. He's seen many times more ARs than I have and knows what works and what doesn't. He says the Sprinco springs work.

If you use a Colt or Sprinco spring, do not use an O-ring. It will make the extractor too stiff. If your (5.56) extractor needs an O-ring, it needs to be replaced and upgraded. (308 extractors can be another story.)
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a similar experience last year with a 10.5" BA (Modern series) and new PSA nickel boron bcg. New pistol with H buffer. First round goes, extracts, 2nd round jams. Went through that 4-5 times. Same deal with carbine and H2 buffer. Ammo was PMC X-TAC 5.56. Normally an excellent range-round for me.

I had my 8.5" pistol with me. I swapped its basic PSA bcg and the 10.5" did fine no matter which buffer. The shiny PSA bcg did fine in the 8.5". Perhaps the extractor was picky, gas differences, etc; who knows. I have since tried another bcg (PSA) in the 10.5" and it has functioned fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I honestly don't know. Colt designed the M4 extractor spring to solve the extraction issues that cropped up when the military started using the M4 extensively in full auto. In my own personal experience, I've seen quite a few extractor springs from other sources fail, usually between 500 and 1000 rounds. Since I replaced all the extractor springs in my ARs with Colt springs, a lot of problems went away.

I've never used the Sprinco spring, but I.G. has. He's seen many times more ARs than I have and knows what works and what doesn't. He says the Sprinco springs work.

If you use a Colt or Sprinco spring, do not use an O-ring. It will make the extractor too stiff. If your (5.56) extractor needs an O-ring, it needs to be replaced and upgraded. (308 extractors can be another story.)
    Interesting observations. I’ve solved extraction problems in other guns by switching to BCM springs but I’ll try the Colt springs out from now on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    I realize the BCG is new, but how long ago did you buy it? IIRC, about 6 months to a year ago there were reports of BCM running into a bad batch of extractor springs.
    It’s pretty old, I think I bought it 18 monthsish ago so it may be one of the ones that has bad springs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good news and bad news.

I changed the extractor spring for another BCM one that I had laying around and at first it worked great with the same mags and ammo as yesterday. After a little while the same FTEs started happening so I switched out the BCG for my other BCM one and the gun ran perfectly. I was skeptical of it running so well so I put the original BCG back in and had FTEs every single time.

It’s definitely got something to do with the BCG. Should I just send it back to BCM and be done with it?

I also tried magtech 62 grain 5.56 and had better reliabilty but still had a ton of malfunctions

And I should add that the BCG was fully lubed this time with CLP instead of the light coat of lube it had on there yesterday.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Yes - I have had two BCM BCG with the same issues. one older from 2013 that they replaced and one newer I have not had the time to do anything with yet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by young_gun View Post
    Good news and bad news.

I changed the extractor spring for another BCM one that I had laying around...
    As in "From the same batch as the spring that doesn't work"?

Try a Colt or Sprinco spring.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast