Thread: Getting a Gun Safe - Any Suggestions?

Feedback Score

Getting a Gun Safe - Any Suggestions?

Hey Folks,

First time poster, long time lurker. I know you guys have some good experience and knowledge, so I wanted to check in to see what you thought about gun safes/gun cabinets.

I have been reading up on some, but there is so much online. My budget is around or below $1000 and I am looking to hold 5 long guns and 3 pistols, so I came to this article that outlines a few safes under 1000, but I don't really know if they actually use them/test them.

Does anyone have any real experience with these safes?

Additionally, a lot of these safes have 14 gauge or 12 gauge steel walls/door. That seems rather thin.... Are they actually fire resistant and tamper proof? I feel like I could rather easily cut into a gun cabinet...

I am open to any and all comments, including that I am dumb for trying to find a full sized safe for under $1000....

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Generic opinion only. Once you decide on the size of safe you want, go one larger. A lot of 10 gun safes aren’t really set up to hold 10 ARs with optics etc.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Generic opinion only. Once you decide on the size of safe you want, go one larger. A lot of 10 gun safes aren’t really set up to hold 10 ARs with optics etc.
    Exactly! You’ll regret not doing this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    “If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow” Chuck Colson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Agreed ^^

Additionally, do some research (in addition to what you're doing here) and get a good quality safe. It doesn't need to be fancy/pretty, but don't cheap out. A good safe will last several lifetimes...
    Last edited by MQ105; 02-12-19 at 20:51.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been looking into getting a safe myself. I started by going to a place that specializes in selling and delivering safes. The first thing I learned was I don't know what I don't know. There are things to consider that I had no idea were important. For example, what's the dimension of the safe diagonally? If it's taller than the lowest part of the ceiling/door jamb, it gonna complicate delivery.

There's also construction to consider. Stitch weld seams and internal hinges don't hold up as well to fires.

I suggest going to store specializing in safes and tell them "I don't know. Please educate me."

If I hadn't done that, I would have bought a safe that won't fit in my basement.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    This is not safe model specific, but it is free internet advice.

1) Be sure that your floor can support the weight of your safe. If you are installing a safe on a floor system, check that there is a wall or a pier under the safe to support it.
    2) Also, bolt your safe to the floor. Harder for a thief to move/pry/manipulate.
    3) If possible, install the safe in a non-obvious place. Out of sight, out of mind. A safe is a deterrent, not a theft proof device. A methhead with a sawzall is a force to be reckoned with.
    4) Never tell anyone your combination. This may seem obvious, but telling your wife or friend the combo may easily be repeated to the wrong ears.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    A methhead with a sawzall is a force to be reckoned with.
    You won the internet with this one! Truer words have never been spoken!! 🤣

Feedback Score
    I presume you've seen this video but if you haven't it's enlightening.

Last edited by SCLBlack; 02-12-19 at 23:41.
    "An MP5 is great inside of a house, but first you have to get to the house." Kevin Owens

Feedback Score
    Get the biggest safe that you can, that you like for your budget. Safes are merely a deterant. A guy with a battery operated cutting wheel will make short work of just about any safe out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    USMC AD
    SAF Defender
    NRA Lifetime

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Myself- Id want a safe that weighed a lot more than 105lbs. Thats just a convenient carrying case, imo.
    Mine weights about 250lbs empty..and with everything in it about 500 or so. I know its a booger to move.
    But my mindset is SET IT & FORGET IT.
    Also- around holiday times..Memorial Day & Independence Day especially....Black Friday too..is the best time Ive seen to buy.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 02-13-19 at 01:32.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.