Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the 4x ACOG dead?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    Always a trade off.
    Definitely. When you get out to 600-800 yards, the Variable is nice... but then you're wanting to reach for a 3.5-15 full size scope.

The LVPO doesn't really fill any niche well FOR ME personally. RDS/Irons, then the COG, then the NSX covers everything form Zero to 1000 plus. Any time I'm shooting a variable, it's spun all the way up anyway. Just thinking out loud... sorry.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    . I have one 4X and two 3.5X and very much prefer the 3.5X for eye relief reasons alone. I too think the LPVO are putting a beatdown to the ACOG line. I have a Burris 1-8 with RDS on the cant which is pretty nice. I really like the NXS 1-8 and is more than an ACOG but not by a huge margin. I even bought some cheap holiday sale 1-6 from primary arms that dont suck for plinking.

I really liked my 4X ACOG with RDS on top even though many feel is way too much offset, but makes hitting center shots inside 50 yards a breeze. I regret pulling it and selling it.

PB
    Note that you can get the same FOV as the 3.5x ACOG by moving your eye back from a 4x ACOG...

The 4x ACOGs trade eye relief for a wide FOV.

I really like using a 4x ACOG with an offset RDS. Very fast transitions, not too heavy. The only thing I wouldn't do is put a 4x ACOG on an AR308 or any other firearm with enough recoil to put an ACOG onto your eyepro...

556_11_5_sbr_1024.jpg
    Last edited by caporider; 02-14-19 at 13:42.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Cav Scouts at Benning get trained with CompM4s, units get issued ACOGs chevron style whatever that model is. My kid won't care, and might get my NX8 if he wants it, we'll see...

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    and LGBTQPVOS are too fragile for serious use.... with the possible exception of this little nightforce that Pappabear is running.
    Hey, what your optics do in the privacy of your gun safe is your business.......

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    LPVOs have taught me the value of magnification. But the weight is ridiculous - they turn a lightweight handy rifle into a pig by themselves (to say nothing of the rings).

Considering the recent "fad" for extremely high-mounted RDSs, I don't see a piggy-backed RDS as a problem on either an ACOG or an LPVO.

As someone for whom weight is a consideration, I don't think the ACOG is obsolete, yet, especially in conjunction with an RDS.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Haven't used them extensively but I buy LPVOs for my rifles needing magnification.

Just bought an NX8 a couple of weeks ago and through 2 range sessions and 250 rounds, I like it A LOT.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Hey, what your optics do in the privacy of your gun safe is your business.......
    Hey now that shit was funny!! Well done.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I actually just contemplated this a bit regarding my LED 3.5x ACOG.

The short answer for me is that the low lower fixed magnification optic still holds a valuable place on a field rifle and weight is a premium. The ACOG was never meant for CQB, the purview of RDS optics. It’s a field optic meant for 50-300 meters that helps with target identification. It does that while staying relatively light weight.

LPVO is the king of versatility, but there’s a weight penalty.

Whichever one is more important to you is how you’ll end up making this decision.

Feedback Score
    The only ACOG I've ever been able to like is the TA33 3x30 one. I really wanted to actually love it and not simply like it, but I just can't. The magnification is a little too much for shooting within say 50 yards. I think the reticle is a little too "busy" although I get it that you have to have that for range estimation and longer range shooting.

For a non-powered sight I prefer the 1x Meprolight M21 with triangle reticle, but ultimately my "druthers" have gravitated back to a miniature red dot.

I just like the crisp, small, non-busy reticle and the lighter weight of the optic.

I email Trijicon every few months telling them they need to make a fiber optic/Tritium red dot with unlimited eye relief in 1x the size of an MRO or Aimpoint T1. We'll see if I eventually get it.

Feedback Score
    The fact that we have the freedom to use a variety of firearms that can host a variety of optics makes me very happy (and poor).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast